Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fatal Error Captivate 2019 Release

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, 

I am hoping someone might be able to help.

I am working on a project and I have inserted a slide video on a blank slide.

I tried to copy and paste the 'Previous' and 'Next' buttons from the previous slide but I get the fatal error message (see image below).

antonellal28311794_0-1627352004207.png

I was wondering if anyone is able to guide me and shed some light on why this may be happening? Or any other workarounds?

I am using Captivate 2019 Release v11.5.5.553

Thank you kindly 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also cleared the cache and it is still happening.
It is not happening on all other slides. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be something wrong with your Captivate installation and reinstalling would fix it.

However, BEFORE you go to all that trouble, first try quickly creating a new Blank project, insert a video and then try to replicate the behaviour in that new project.  If you can replicate the behaviour in a new project then the issue is unlikely to be corruption in your main project.  It would point to something happening at the system level rather than at the project level.  So reinstalling would then be your next best option.

If this problem turns out to require a reinstall of Captivate, the issue could be that something else has changed on your system (perhaps an update to Windows or installation of some other app) that is causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @RodWard 

Thanks so much for your reply and assistance with this.

I did try your suggestion already and yes, I was able to replicate the same error - so it was comforting to know that the project wasn't corrupted.

We did have a Windows update and so things are pointing in that direction. I have been speaking with someone from the IT team to see if it was possible to uninstall and reinstall but we came across this:

antonellal28311794_0-1627455962092.png

They can uninstall my Captivate but they will not be able to reinstall do to the above error message. So someone in software is looking into downloading Captivate again.

I was wondering if there are any Captivate updates that anyone may be aware of or is the version I have the latest?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of the current date the version of Captivate that you currently have is the latest build for Windows.

However, like yourself, I recently started having problems with Captivate 2019 (same build as you) after a series of Windows updates and I ended up having to reinstall the app in order to get it to work again.  It appears the issue in my case was that Windows decided to uninstall certain versions of the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable software that Captivate requires.  It proved to be almost impossible to locate which specific ones were missing so I just had to do a complete reinstall to get everything working again.

So I would tell your IT dudes that they don't need to wait for a newer update of Captivate to come out (because that's not likely to happen anytme soon).  They just need to resinstall your existing Captivate version to to replace the components that the update killed in order to get it to work again.  If they download Captivate again, they will likely get an older version of Captivate 2019 (in my experience) and then they will need to update it again to get to the very latest version.  If they still have the install files for Captivate 2019 Release v11.5.5.553, then I would be using that to do the reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @RodWard I will definitely pass on the feedback. However they weren't able to reinstall because the installer file appears to be damaged. I assume that may still have the install files for the Captjvate version I have but I also fear that it's those files that have been damaged during the Windows update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Well if the installer file they have is damaged then they will need to just get a working installer for Cp 2019 and then update from there.  But just make sure they do all the updates before they give you back the PC.  They often stop once they have Captivate working again and do not think about the fact that there might have been bugfixes and updates after that version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @RodWard 

They will need to remote in to do the installation because I mainly work from home due to COVID. I will let them know. Thanks so much for all your assistance. Appreciate all your support in this Adobe Community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very welcome.  Thanks for expressing appreciation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @RodWard 
Finally I have had the Captivate reinstalled. Unfortunately the same thing is still happening.
A colleague of mine discovered that this fatal error happens when copying and pasting buttons with an advanced acition. He found that when the advanced actions were removed from these buttons and simplified the copy and paste worked without the fatal error appearing and then shutting down captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Normally copy/paste interactive objects with attached advanced actions do not cause problems (it is different with advanced actions attached to slide events), but it depends on the advanced action itself. One more reason to prefer shared actions whenever possible because they do not have this type of problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you clean the Preferences as well? Before reinstalling, would try that also, besides the suggestion of Rod which would figure out if Captivate or the project is corrupted.

http://blog.lilybiri.com/tips-for-troubleshooting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Lilybiri 

Thanks for your assistance with this. 
I haven't tried that option as yet and I am not exactly sure how to do it but I will look into it. 
Thank you 😊 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I explained 'how' in that blog: find the subfolder 'utils' in the installation folder of Captivate. Run CleanPreferencesWin.bat while CP is closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources