Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed position when scrolling

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Does anybody knows if it's possible to make an object's position fixed when scrolling? 

I would like a header menu to stay always on the top of the page when scrolling down.

Thanks in advance,

Victor

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about an eLearning course created with Captivate?  Scrolling is consideered to be rather bad practice... I avoid it all the time.  It must be a non-responive course, because for a responsive course it certainly makes no sense.

To answer: maybe this could be done with webpage techniques but it is not a built in feature in Captivate, probably for the reasons mentioned before.  I cannot remember such a question and am answering here since more than 10 years almost daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Lilybiri -

Would advise a design that avoids scrolling in your Captivate eLearning project.

That said, the short answer to the question (at least for a website) is to set a fixed position for the header in your CSS.

Something along the lines below.

.header {
  position: fixed;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. 

Allow me to disagree with you. I believe that learning contents should, of course, be designed to be functional, but we must also have in mind that for content to be really engaging it should be able to provide the same kind of user experience as all the other modern web content out there. 

Take a look at other course development platforms and you'll see how it's possible to design scrollable learning experiences. 

Designing digital learning contents is more than instructional design, it's also about experience design. 

Thanks,

P.S. https://elearningindustry.com/scrolling-page-designs-in-your-elearning-8-strategies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate is designed to deliver content that functions as a slide-by-slide presentation.  It follows the same basic approach as PowerPoint, which as far as I know also does not scroll.

User experience is contingent on the type of media being presented and is not required in all situations.  (When was the last time you felt the need to scroll the content on your TV?)

Whether or not content is 'engaging' has little to do with whether or not the user experience matches the same approach used by other media such as scrolling web pages.  Content is engaging because it is well-designed to be meaningful, memorable and relevant to the learner.  That the content scrolls is not mandatory for any of those requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I suppose you could make a custom project size that would extend vertically beyond the limits of the screen.

An example would be 1024 x 2500 or something.

At that point you can just do normal browser scrolling to view the whole project.

That said - it is possible to animate things on the stage using JavaScript which means it may be possible to make a sticky header with a super long Captivate project. I enjoy using JavaScript in my projects and even that seems like a lot of work to me for the minimal return.

My advice - ditch the scolling idea and go with a header menu  that is set to show for the rest of the project. If you need to work in scrolling - you could maybe work in a scroll wheel listener that will advance your slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources