Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Force user to complete video module after quiz is failed for credit

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Let me first start by saying I'm new to Captivate with only a couple months of training.

My current issue is I'm developing Annual Compliance Training modules for my organization and I'm trying to learn how to set it up so that if the Associate passes the quiz they get credit for completion or if they fail the quiz then they have to watch a video on the next slide, once it's finished then they will recieve credit for the learning module. 

They way it's configured now is that if the Associate fails, they are directed to the next slide (that plays a video) but are given credit before completion of the video. 

Is there a way to have it set up so that if the Associate fails the quiz they will be forced to watch the entire video before getting credit?

Thank you,

Patrick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you set up Reporting? Was it with SCORM 1.2 or 2004?

I have some ideas, but it would be nice to know the answer to that question.

You could turn on Branch aware. That will make the quizzing system variables needed to report to the LMS dynamic. Only the visited slides and score received on the slides will be taken into account.

Use the Pass/Fail actions in Quiz Preferences to navigate the Associate to a congratulations slide which is before the video slide, and provide an Exit button on that slide when a passing score has been gotten. For a Failure action navigate to the video slide, which is after the congratulation slide. Use slide video, not event video for that slide. Add an Exit button with a timing to appear after the end of the video (Timeline panel). Attach a score to  that button. If the video slide is visited, the total possible score for the project will be greater than for the Associate who passed without viewing the video. Make sure that a passing score will be achieved after viewing the video by increasing the score attached to the Exit button on the video slide. This scenario should be possible even if you use SCORM 1.2. For more details it is necessary to see the complete setup for your project. You can see the present total score in the Advanced Interactions panel (F9).

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-interaction-panel-q-and-a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I am currently using Scorm 1.2. I tried to upload a Scorm 2004 but our system didn't work with it.

I appreciate your response and will try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also like to say I'm on a Mac working with Captivate 2019 Version 11.8.0.710

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is indeed the only version working on the most recent Mac OS and on M1 chips.

Try to workaround, since you cannot switch to SCORM 2004 which has more options. Unless you could talk with the LMS people and see if the LMS functionality could be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I have a patch put in Adobe so it'll work with Big Sur so sometimes it'll glitch on me.

For now I changed the settings to a point system instead of % in the pass/fail menu and then I gave the video a value of 100 and within advanced actions I set it to go to the video if less than 90 is met or if more is acheived then it should go to the quiz results slide. 

When I added a button to the video slide and made it reportable it would no longer let me place the video after the quiz results slide.

I'm testing it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not possible to add a score to a video, but that must have been a typo.. Scored objects are the interactive objects, which are those showing the Actions tab in their Properties panel: buttons, click boxes, Text Entry Boxes.

It is not a good idea to switch the completion criterion to points instead of %. Most LMSs works best with percentages. Moreover some LMSs do not support a total score which is above 100points.

Indeed, the score slide needs to be after all scored objects, sorry about that missing information. That means you need to put the video slide before the Results slide. But since you need the Branch aware to be functional, this could be the workflow: 

• Use the Success action on the last quiz slide to jump to the Results slide. That way the learner will skip the video slide.
  • Use the Last Attempt action on the last quiz slide to Continue or Go to Next Slide.

My apologies, normally I check out the proposed workflow in a project, but didn't have time to do so yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

I added a continue button to the end of the video with a value of 100 points so that the user would be given a passing grade. I'm using a question pool to keep my quiz randomized and I have question 10 set to skip the video slide and go to the results page if a passing grade is acheived and I have it set to go to next slide if a passing grade is not met. 

When I loaded it to the LMS the button no longer appeared at the end of the video it just exited.

I'm changing it back to % now and will test again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Learner needs to go to the score slide. Did you set the button action to 'Go to Next slide'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I just did that when I realized the setting I did only worked on Question 10 and it wasn't functioning the way I thought it would.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Throughout the day I've tried many different combinations and nothing seems to be working.

I'm failing the module on purpose and watching the video until the end and I'm still not getting any credit for it.

I've set up a page after the video slide and I'm still not getting the desired result. 

I'm just wondering where my settings are going wrong or if this is even possible to have a 5-10 question quiz, then the results are shown, and if a passing grade is achieved then the quiz will exit upon hitting the "continue" button or if they fail the "continue" button will take the user to a video which once completed will give them credit. I'm using Scorm 1.2 and my questions are pulled from a question pool.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to explain that some LMSs do not accept a total score which is above 100points. Why keep all question slides at 10 points? Why do you insist on putting 100 points on that button? 

Did you activate Branch aware? Did you check Advanced Interaction panel? Maybe post a screenshot of that panel, it should show you all scores, although those who do not visit the video because they succeeded the quiz will get a lower value for the score needed to pass.  

Quizzing is one of the big stumbliing blocks for many starters in Captivate. Almost all consultancy jobs I get do need tweaking of quizzes and the many blogs I wrote about them are amongst the most visited.

I would insert some quizzing system variables in a text container and time them for the rest of the project to try debugging. The most relevant ones are cpQuizInfoPointsscored and cpQuizInfoTotalQuizPoints (which should be different for success and failure).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I did turn on branch aware and it took away my play/pause button in the skin and my boss really wants that in there. I apologize again for the insiting on points system. I can change the value so nothing goes over 100. Just with trial and error of the % not working I wanted to try something else so I could definitively know that it won't help either. I understand what you're saying more now with Advanced Interaction panel and I'll post the screen shot. Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 3.18.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... in that case I cannot help you to solve the problem. Without Branch aware you should need to do some programming in JavaScript to solve the situation. Or use the CpExtra widget which allows you to transfer a custom score to the quizzing variables. That widget is an external one (InfoSemantics - Australia) and it is not free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actualy you helped me more than enough and I really appeciate it. I did have to accept the fact Branch Aware was very much needed and then I had to do a couple other work around slides to direct the user to either the video or the quiz results page. Thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Branch aware will indeed disable the default navigation by playbar or by TOC. However you can always use custom navigation. I rarely use the playbar, because most of my projects include branching and the playbar just is very confusing in a branched project. I'm sorry not to have mentioned it. Maybe I should have posted a link to a blog post about Branch aware:

What is Branch Aware? - eLearning (adobe.com)

Custom navigation is not that hard since you can use buttons on the master slide(s) or timed for the rest of the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate it. I think once I learn more about them I will include them but for now I think it's going to function enough to meet our deadline. I do apologize once again, my skill level is pretty much still novice and I'm learning a lot as I go but again I thank you a ton for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources