• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forward and back buttons disappear when previewing the quiz

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the built in fill in the blank Master Slides. When I am working in the editor there are forward and back buttons on each question but when I preview they disappear. In the quiz options section I can click "back" under buttons but I'd prefer to have these buttons that are already there show up. What can I do?

forward and back buttons.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The buttons you are referring to are those who will appear during Review only, they are called the Review Mode Navigation buttons. At least if it has been set up that way under Quiz Preferences, Settings.

When in quiz mode, you have the Submit button, which will release the play head after the second step in the Submit process. Forward button is not necessary. Having a Back button on a quiz slide can be chosen under Quiz Preferences, Settings. However I would not recommend to do so, because answers on a quiz dslide are blocked when the learner leaves the quiz slide. If you really want to give them free navigation throughout Quiz slides you need to choose the feature Submit All under Quiz Preferences, Settings.

Understanding the Submit Process and how to set up Preferences is important when you are using any kind of quiz or Knowledge Check slides. I could offer some links to blog posts I wrote for basic quiz creation, but not sure if that is what you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue where the user submits the answer and then the correct or incorrect message is shown but then when you click anywhere that message disappears and it doesn't advance to the next slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something has messed up the Submit process in that case.

Did you delete any embedded object on the quizzing master slides or the quiz slides?  Embedded objects have no individual timelines, but deleting them can mess up the quizzing process. Some can be hidden by unchecking features, but you should never delete them manually.

Please, read this blog post:

Captivate's Quizzes (2): Submit Process - eLearning (adobe.com)

After viewing the feedback messages, the actions specified in the Quiz Properties panel are executed.  By default they are set to 'Continue', which means the playhead will be released in the second step of the process. Did you change the Success and/or Last Attempt action? Do you have multiple attempts on question level?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't change the success and or last attempt and there aren't multiple attempts. I am changing the text of the blank to something longer so it will fit the whole string, maybe I'm deleting the entire embedded object when I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it wasn't that I deleted something, I made entirely new questions and I'm still having the same issue where it doesn't advance forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one screenshot so far. You are talking about a FIB question correct?  Can you compare the quiz slide with the used master slide?  Can you reset the master slide if you didn't edit it? You did edit that slide a lot, including the Fluid Boxes layout. You edited the type of question label (hope you didn't delete it), the size of the Question fluid box and of the Answer area. The messages seem to be still in the original static fluid box, same for the buttons fluid box. You unchecked the Back button in Quiz Preferences or in the Quiz Properties panel, same for the Skip button.  You don't have a progress indicator, which has been unchecked in Quiz Preferences as well. Only the Submit button is kept.

It is a fluid boxes project, the  layout and Fluid boxes setup are very important for that type of quiz slides. I published a blog about the setup of those quiz master slides, but I wonder if you accept to read a blog?

http://blog.lilybiri.com/tips-for-fluid-quiz-slides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, its fill in the blank. 

I think it must be something in the settings or something I changed in the master slide because I created more slides where all I edited was the Answer and still it won't move forward. I'll attach screenshots of both my slide and the master slide.

Thanks for your help, I'm so frustrated by Captivate that I quit and worked on something else last week and now I'm even more confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now I went to my other quizzes which were already done, multiple choice in different modules, and they aren't advancing anymore either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MCQ and FIB use the same quizzing master slide, this would point to the master slide editing as cause.

You have deleted the Back, Clear and Skip buttons on the master slide. Whatever theme you use, they should be present on that master slide, along with the Submit and the Review buttons.  For the quiz slides only the buttons which are activated in Quiz Preferences, Settings will appear.

Problem with using a powerful, multifeatured tool like Captivate is that you cannot just dive in. Sorry about that comment.  Quizzing is perhaps the aspect which raises the most questions everywhere.  My personal blog also indicates the same, all quizzing blogs get a lot of views.

The last screenshot is about the setup of Pass/Fail for the quiz, not for a question. A screenshot of those Preferences, but the Settings part would have been more interesting. By default the Skip, Back and Clear button appearance is unchecked in those Settings. But you never should delete them from the master slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. I have taken the adobe course on Captivate but it's still a tough program to master. Here are the settings attached.

should I re import the master slide for the template and then reset my question slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That 'course' is very basic, sorry for that comment.  Having teached and coached for decades, what is often missing are tips like 'avoid doing this'. That should prevent a lot of frustrations for new users. You got an example: never delete embedded objects on quiz (master) slides. Was that mentioned in your course? To be honest, most of my consultancy jobs were about fixing Quizzing problems and tweaks.

You use the word 'template'? I hope this is a terminology slip, because cptl files (which are the template files) are very buggy since a couple of versions, shouldn't be used anymore. What will you use to import the original quizzing master slides from the theme you are using at this moment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The master slide came from the assets library, I was thinking I could delete the one I have in my project (the master slide) and replace it with a fresh download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or do you have other ideas on how I can solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, you are referring to the Quick Start Projects from the Assets panel. Which one did you use?

Each of them has a custom theme, I have explored most of them so would like to give you adequate help.

You cannot delete a quizzing master slide nor replace it by another one. You have edited the theme, and that edited version is in your profile. I will try to give you a step-by-step explanation how to fix this problem, once I know which QSP you used.  Here is another blog:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/quiz-slash-score-slides-in-quick-start-projects-part-2-responsive-projects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Blue Varasity the QSP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blue Veracity not Varasity and I guess thats a theme not a QSP? I really don't remember how I started the project it was so long ago and it's gone through so many changes in the last 6 months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the default them for Captivate, but not from the Assets panel. Can you check the theme when you are on a quiz slide please? Your quiz slides do not look at all as they would in the Veracity theme.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Blue Veracity and Blank are the only themes I have saved from looking in my public folders folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to the object style manager after choosing on of the objects in my slide it also says Blue Veracity

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you mention the Assets panel? Version 11.5 which you are using, allows having multiple themes in one project. That is the reason I ask to go to the quiz slide, and look in its Properties panel to see which theme has been used. 

If you have indeed only been using Blue Veracity even for the quiz slides, you never used a project nor a slide from the Assets panel. You could reset Blue Veracity to its original version but that means that you lose all customisation. From what I see only on the quiz slides, that has been a lot, overriding the original theme without having saved a copy as custom theme (Themes is another important topic which is barely touched in the basic course you took).

I would propose this:

• Save the theme as you have it now under another name, using the Themes menu, Save theme as. As location path use the folder where you saved the project.
  • To restore the original Blue Veracity theme, you need administrator rights.  Find this folder:
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 2019 x64\Gallery\Layouts\11_5\en_US
    This is for a standard installation, with language set to en_US.
  • Copy BlueVeraicity.cptm from this folder.
  • Switch to this folder: 
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets\Layouts\11_5\en_US
  • Paste the copied BlueVeracity to replace the one you have edited.

Now open a new responsive project, it will have Blue Veracity as theme. You can now copy the correct quizzing master slide to your project. Duplicate (keep the original master slide is always a safe way) it and edit it to look like the one you have now without deleting embedded objects. You can then apply it to your quiz slides.

If you see only Blank and Blue Veracity in the Public folder, that means those are the only themes you ever used so far. Look at the dates, they probably don't have the original date which should be in May 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the instruction. Going to the property panel on the slide in question it does look like Blue Veracity. I'll try these steps and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did all of that and when I used the master slide in a new project with a new FIB slide it worked correctly. But then I copied the master, put the master in my original project with the other masters, created a new FIB question slide using the master (I didn't change anything about the master) and it's still not advancing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quiz slides or the project must really be corrupted in that case. I had hoped that restoring the correct master slides could solve the problem. 

Two possibilites:

• Delete the quiz slides and recreate them using the correct master slides. You can recover the text parts by copy/paste to Notepad.
  • Try to apply the original Blue Veracity theme to the whole project using the big button Themes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources