• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP! Captivate 9 Turning Pictures RED!

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The output of my project is turning many of my pictures red in large scale. As of right now, my product is not functional and I've put months of work into this. Please, if someone could help save my project I would be very grateful. It is a large project, and there is no way around that...help!

TOPICS
Advanced , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In my own experience the turning red is a symptom of exhausting all the memory while playing the project.

Sounds to me as if your project is too large. How many slides and what are the pixel dimensions? And i'm guessing you are producing in Flash SWF format?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there – thanks for your quick response. It is a very large project and unfortunately I wasn’t aware of any restrictions before I began this project. I also don’t know how I can cut it down, it’s very detailed. I’ve got 420 slides now and need to have about 600 before all said and done. And yes Flash/SWF.

Thanks again!

Carly

Moderator: I took out your personal credentials, be more careful, this is a public forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that the only solution I'm afraid is to optimize your images in Photoshop or some other image-editing software.

Perhaps you can give more detail as to why your images cannot be optimized, what are the dimensions of you images in question, and what are the dimensions of your project.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sure I can optimize them, I’m just not sure how. And there are so many. This is a huge project. Thanks for your quick response.

Carly

​Moderator: PLEASE! Do not post your personal credentials on this public forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way for me to see which slides/pictures are too large?

Carly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you turn off all compression in Preferences, Project, Size and Quality?

Best practice is to prepare images in the exact size (pixels) needed in Captivate, and not resize them. Since you are on Captivate 9, SVG's are accepted. Try converting as many bitmap images to SVG which will decrease the size considerably. However not only the images contribute to file size: audio and (embedded) video are taking up a lot more file size than images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean unclick the “Advanced Project Compression” box? Thanks for responding so quickly.

Carly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, try that.

To reduce file size not only images are important, audio and video take up a lot more size.

As for images: find them in the Library! Best practice is to never rescale images in Captivate, but import them in exactly the needed size. Moreover, since you do use CP9, try converting the bitmap images to SVG whenever possible. The file size reduction can be amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carly,

Another thing you might consider is breaking the slides up into two projects and linking them. That will cut the project size in half and dramatically improve load speed and playback.

Cheers

Steve 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly question (and as a note the entire project is images, no video or audio at all…it’s just huge!) how do I import a picture exactly the size I need? All of them are the same size but you’re right, I’ve been resizing them in captivate.

Also, what does try converting the bitmap images to SVG whenever possible mean? In Captivate? I am new to elearning and Captivate if you didn’t notice…

Carly Eade

[Moderator's note: please do not include all the personal data on these public forums]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert bitmap images to SVG. Where do I find that option in Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can convert them in Photoshop if you have the last version. Not only a file size decrease but lot crisper especially for responsive projects. There are other applications around to convert bitmap to SVG but I'm using Photoshop.

As for changing the size/resolution of a bitmap image, consider roundtripping from the Library to Photoshop or another graphical application to resize the images in that graphical application. Resizing images in Captivate often leads even to bigger file size than the original image, you can check that in the Library as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Illustrator to convert to SVG. Where do I go to save a file as an SVG in Photoshop? I don't see it in the save as options.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, you have to love it when folks just make assumptions that because you know how to use one of Adobe's 100+ tools, that you just immediately know how to use all the 100+ others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Referring here to Captivate as being the "known" tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I use Photoshop to do exactly 17 things to prepare my images for Captivate or create the thumbnails for my YouTube videos. Once every 7 years or so I Google how to do something new.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How will you resize images to the exact size needed if you don't use a graphical applcation? Resizing them in Captivate is the ideal way to bloat up the file size. If you can get hold of a SVG, that is not a problem. So, if you want a small file size but don't want to use a graphical application, buy SVG's.

Photoshop CC 2017 has SVG under File, Export as.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I personally work is that each time I begin a project I work out three specific sizes that I want images to be.  I'll have one that fills the screen (perhaps underneath the header of the slide), another that takes up most of one side with room for text beside it, and another that will serve as a thumbnail or that can be used on quiz question slides (because you have so many other elements on thos slides to work around). 

Once I have worked out exactly how big these images would be I create three Photoshop PSD files at those sizes and tag their names with some code to indicate which course and module of the project they belong to.  Then I import any images I intend to use and put them on layers in this PSD file so that I can export them out as JPG or PNG files at exactly the right size to be inserted in the Captivate file. 

Most of my images tend to be photographs due to the subject matter, but I do agree that using SVGs will be the better way to go in HTML5 or Responsive output for any images that I would normally have used Flash SWF to create. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this problem as well. I resaved my images as PNGs (they were JPEGs originally) and that solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Making the images smaller pixels and saving as PNGs is the answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem in CP2019.  Here is the fastest fix.

Click on the Slide Itself Not the Image

Click on Properties

Style

Quality

From the Drop Down ( The default is Optimized) 

Select JPEG  (This worked best for me, I did not play with the other two options of LOW and HIGH)

You will get a message or warning telling you that this selection change will ( Increase the size of the project, use this option only if the slide contains a photo) 

Click OK

Resave, Re-compile this should solve your issues. 

Not sure how this would work for huge slide decks?  The presentation I was working on was only 28 slides.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!  Exactly what I needed to fix the issue I was having!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources