• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I employ a split screen effect in Demo mode? How can I manipulate the frame rate?

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Captivate but used its predecessor, RoboDemo, back in the day (when it was easy and straight-froward). I need to create software demos that involve a piece of software with two distinct views (leader and follower). So I want to use a split-screen effect to display the effect of actions performed on one screen to the second screen in real time. Do I need to import and superimpose video from the second screen alongside the first screen video to produce that effect?

I also want to apply changes in frame rate when appropriate to permit a longer display of key actions, as well as apply highlighting to draw attention to key actions (zooming, highlight boxes, onscreen text, etc.) I know I can use these existing features, but want to know if I can adjust the frame rate per slide (yes, I know I can cheat by simply copying/pasting additional copies of slides to extend the time the image is displayed, but I prefer to use the tools rather than apply a farmer hack).

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost nothing has been changed to the software simulation capture workflows since many versions. 

You talk only about a demo, why do you not use Video Demo in that case? Its output quality is much better, and you probably aim only at MP4 output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily -- thanks for the response. I had assumed it would be easier to use the Software Simulation because it seemed to offer more control of the onscreen elements in each slide. That is, I want to be able to control pace, highlight onscreen actions, etc. But if the Video Demo mode is more suitable, fine by me. 

As for my other concern, are you aware of any means to produce a split screen video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really understand why you would want a split screen video, but if you want that you'll need a real video editor.

You can combine multiple real videos on one slide, but they need to be event video, and that makes synchronizing almost impossible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily. The preference for split screen is due to the fact that the software being demo'd has different views depending on the user type, and what happens on one screen impacts what appeaers on the other screen. Our client has expressed a desire to see them side-by-side.

Having said that, I have already come to the consulsion that Captivate won't provide split-screen layout without endless headaches, so I am giving up on it.

Rather, now I am wondering why you previously recommended using the Video Demo mode instead of the Software Simulation mode. Given the amount of editing and manipulation I will have to perform on the slides, isn't the Simulation mode more suitable? You already advocated for the Demo mode -- can you explain why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are several problems with Software simulation in Demo mode.  One of the problems is that FMR (Full Motion Recording) slides need to be converted from the original (legacy) FLV format to MP4 on publishing and that is not always happening correctly.  The quality of the Video Demo is much higher, and it hasn't that type of problems since MP4 is the only output possible.  For Training and Assessment mode, Software simulations are perfect, since you need full control and interactive objects are inserted automatically.

Even if you keep to Demo mode for Software sims, I would recommend to replace the FMR slides (if you cannot avoid them) by Video Demo slides, which is perfectly possible but makes the capturing process longer.

However, if I understand you well, you will need to use multiple branches in your project. Consequence is that you will not use passive video output (MP4) but HTML5 output. I may have wrongly assumed that you wanted pure video output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources