• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I make the clear or submit button take action in a quiz after clicking the "back" button?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I have created a quiz. By default the "submit" button goes to the next slide. The "back" button actually does take me back one slide - however, once I go back, the "clear" button does not clear the selection and the "submit" button no longer works. With a normal (non-quiz) button I can set an action. However, it seems that with a quiz, settings those actions is a little harder to find. I have searched the quiz settings and the properties of the individual buttons. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Please see my screenshot which shows where the actions tab would be with a normal button.Captivate question.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Yes. Quiz question slides are a little more complex than normal slides and the buttons found on quiz slides also have certain differences.  For example the default Back button on a quiz slide can only ever move you back one slide.  The Clear button will only perform a Clear action and nothing else.  So these buttons are not really normal buttons like the ones you can add to other slides and select any number of different actions.  That's one point to remember.

A submit button on a quiz questio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

I have written over 30 blog posts only over quizzes. There is a sequence of 6 blogs, explaining the default design of quiz slides which could be useful for you.  Here is one link:

Captivate's Quizzes (2): Submit Process - eLearning (adobe.com)

It explains the meaning of what I label the 'embedded' objects in Captivate's quiz and their functionality.

Since you are new to quizzes, please do NOT allow to have Back buttons on quiz slides at all (you can allow Backward movement). Once a question is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Quiz question slides are a little more complex than normal slides and the buttons found on quiz slides also have certain differences.  For example the default Back button on a quiz slide can only ever move you back one slide.  The Clear button will only perform a Clear action and nothing else.  So these buttons are not really normal buttons like the ones you can add to other slides and select any number of different actions.  That's one point to remember.

A submit button on a quiz question is also not a normal button like other buttons that you can add to slides.  The actions it performs are controlled by whether or not the user correctly answered the question.  These actions are found in the Quiz settings tab and they really apply to the entire quiz slide, not just the Submit button. There will be one action if the user correctly answered.  This is referred to as the Success action.  If the user incorrectly answered the quiz question, and they have no more allowed attempts, then a different action can be configured.

If this is all unfamiliar to you, I would suggest you look at getting some basic training with Captivate.  It can be quite a complex tool and it's important to understand the basics  before diving in too far.  There are also lots of good videos on YouTube to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you RodWard? Much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have written over 30 blog posts only over quizzes. There is a sequence of 6 blogs, explaining the default design of quiz slides which could be useful for you.  Here is one link:

Captivate's Quizzes (2): Submit Process - eLearning (adobe.com)

It explains the meaning of what I label the 'embedded' objects in Captivate's quiz and their functionality.

Since you are new to quizzes, please do NOT allow to have Back buttons on quiz slides at all (you can allow Backward movement). Once a question is answered or its attempts are exhausted (on question level) and you move on, the answer will be blocked until you start a new attempt on Quiz level (with the Retake button on the Score slide). It has no sense to allow to use the Back button because the learner will only be able to view the slide, but then be blocked unless you add a custom Next button. 

If you want to enable the learner to change already answered questions, you can only allow that by using the Submit All feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I will use that link as a resource going forward. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Complete list with links to all Quiz blogs can be downloaded using this blog,which I updated recently:

Quiz Resources - eLearning (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Lilybiri?  Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources