• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get the time counter from the toc onto a slide?

Contributor ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short question. Is there a way to use the a variable to display the time spent and the time left in the module on a slide? I know that we can display it in the table of contents but I would like to have it on a slide if possible. I also know that it's basically just the length of the slides combined but that is not a problem. Thank you very much as always!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The table of contents shows the topic duration of the length of the slide. Keep in mind that a slide that includes interactive content may take students more or less time than the duration that is set for that slide. There isn't a system variable that I'm aware of that would display the current slide duration. You could display the time since the elearning course started for the user. Click on the [x] icon in your properties inspector and select the variable you wish to display to the student. cpInfoElapsedTimeMS returns the time, in milliseconds, since the elearning course was started by the student. You would have to write an advanced action that would manipulate this value into something more helpful to the student and display the resulting variable for that instead.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Paul.

That's what I thought... 

The info is in the TOC why is it so hard to get out! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Lieve.

I read some of them as I always do.

Just thought there might be a simple variable "runtime until now" and "runtime remain" as shown in the TOC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many have asked since a long time to have more system variables, like the one you are looking for.

It is perfectly possible to calculate the total (editor) project time using cpInfoFrameCount and cpInfoFPS. But as you could see in those blogs, to calculate other times you need more information and a more complicated advanced/shared actions. 

Personally I find the 'real' time much more interesting for learners, because there is no direct link between that time and the one shown in the TOC. That may lead to confusion or even frustration. A learner may see that 50% is 'done' but just started the tough part of the course, and there may be a need for 75% time to complete. I hope you understand what I try to explain. The Timer interaction is an easy way to show elapsed time...but the total time needed can only be a guess, or a crystal ball.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fully agree but the client asked for it... Will point them towards the toc solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources