Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add Custom states in Captivate Master Slide

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am creating a Captivate template for my upcoming project. I have defined all elements in my slide master including custom navigational buttons - Replay slide, Closed Caption, Play/Pause, Back and Next button. States are added for CC and Play/Pause as Toggle. However when I preview the slide, button states are not changing but functionality is working. But when I move all these navigational elements from master slide to individual slide, all states are working. Although this solves the issue, the system hangs every time I copy-paste navigational buttons for each slide. In the masterslide, I have seen that custom states option is disabled just inbuilt state is available. Can anyone suggest a workaround.

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Audio and video , Branching , Download assets , Editing , Getting started , Import export , Installation and licensing , Presenter , Project upgrade , Quizzing and LMS , Recording , Virtual reality

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

If a Theme is not sufficient, use a cptx file, where you set the File Properties to 'Read only'. That means that when it is opened, it needs to be saved by the user, probably with another name. However in most cases a custom Theme (which is more flexible) is sufficient: Theme color palette, Theme fonts, all Object Styles, all master slides are included.

To hide/show items, use the On Enter event of the slide with those commands. I even created a shared action, which allows to hide/show a group

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the reasons (there may be more) is that items on a master slide never have an ID. That means that you cannot change a custom state with any command, since such a command (simple or within an advanced/shared action) needs to identify the multistate item. Contrary to InBuilt states, which do not need a command, they appear in a particular situation. More information in:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/about-state-commands-and-a-progress-bar

Workaround if you need custom states like in the toggle shape buttons: put them on the first slide and time them for the rest of the project, always on top. Supplementary advantage: they have a unique ID and can be hidden/shown if necessary. Another link:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/1-action-equals-5-toggle-buttons

BTW I hope you are not creating a cptl file. because using such a 'template' file has several problems since a couple of versions. From what you describe a custom Theme is what you need, not a template file. This may be just a terminology problem, but wanted to warn anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification. I was creating a Captivate Template File with all these features so that it could be shared with all team members working on the assignment. 

I liked the concept of adding the custom buttons on first slide and adding the display option to rest of the project. Could you please guide how to hide them on certain slides, where the navigational buttons are not required

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If a Theme is not sufficient, use a cptx file, where you set the File Properties to 'Read only'. That means that when it is opened, it needs to be saved by the user, probably with another name. However in most cases a custom Theme (which is more flexible) is sufficient: Theme color palette, Theme fonts, all Object Styles, all master slides are included.

To hide/show items, use the On Enter event of the slide with those commands. I even created a shared action, which allows to hide/show a group of elements on each slide just by setting one parameter:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/shared-or-advanced-use-case-hide-slash-show-custom-navigation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources