• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a "fake" software simulation with static images?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community,

I would like to imitate a software simulation experiences for my learners. I do not have access to the software (security purposes), so I will have to imitate a simulation using screenshots. I am aware that I can use click boxes to imitate the success/failure/hint messages, and that I can have the slide advance when they click on the correct area. 

What else can I do to make this more realistic?

I am new to Captivate, and I would appreciate your advice. Thanks!

TOPICS
Advanced actions , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you are new to Captivate, my recommendation would be to try out the default software simulations, Assessment or Training mode to check out how they are set up. That is possible on any application you have access to. You'll see that click boxes and Text Entry Boxes are used, which can be scored. You can emulate the same workflow with static screenshots. It is possible that you will need to duplicate some screenshots because you need multiple slides with the same background.

Try to avoid any action which needs dragging or moving the mouse. There is often an alternative. It is also possible to add drag&drop actions, but that may be beyond newbie skills. Same for actions which can be done in different ways. I think about using a shortcut key or using a menu approach. 

I don't know what you mean exactly by 'more realistic'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I will try that. 

I just meant to make it look like a typical software simulation captured by the software. I think your idea of creating a practice simulation to emulate will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not have access to the software that you are trying to simulate, you will not be able to use Captivate to take the screenshots.

How were you going to get hold of screenshots without having access?  Is someone else with access doing the captures and sending them to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else is providing the screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK.  Well that is certainly NOT the recommended way to go, but I understand you are working with limitations.

As a tip, you will need to give that person VERY specific instructions about how they do the capturing or else your project will not look very professional.

They will need to know the exact height and width of your Captivate project file stage area, and they will need to set up whatever software they use to do the capturing so that it captures at these exact dimensions each and every time.  And each successive capture will need to start at the same top-left pixel location, otherwise your images will seem like they "jump around" during playback. 

Captivate does all of this very easily, but most other capturing apps require quite a bit of setup.  And the person doing the capturing needs to have a very clear idea of the task they are trying to replicate with captured images.  They need to capture a lot more images than just the basic steps.  It's a lot easier to delete images you don't need than it is to find out you need more captures and then try to splice in extra images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources