• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to display success caption for duration of lesson?

Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a project with four drag and drop quizzes. Each quiz can be attempted as many times as needed, and returned to at anytime. When all four have been completed successfully the Next navigation button on any of the quizzes takes the viewer to a final congratulations slide. All of this works fine. Here's my question:

I would like the Success Caption to stay visible on the successfully completed quizzes. This way if a learner returns to a quiz they already completed it will show the success caption. Is there a way to have the success caption stay on for the duration of the lesson?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

It is a terminology problem to start with. You talk about a quiz, but mean 1 Drag&Drop slide, correct? The learner needs to complete that D&D slide before being able to move on, since the Next button only appears on Success.  You have Infinite Attempts. After each failed attempt the Failure message appears indeed (I would change it into a Retry message, reason why I posted the link to the blog about feedback messages). 

Normally they cannot 'give up' on a D&D slide. For a normal quiz slide you c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose that those D&D slides are created as Knowledge Check slides? If they are real Quiz slides, it is not possible to revisit them to have another attempt. Like normal quiz slides, once you leave the D&D slide configured as scored Quiz slide, the answer is blocked and the number of attempts on quiz level are considered to be exhausted. But if it is configured as a KC slide, the answers are reset when you leave the slide.

For the Success shape (it is mostly a shape, not a caption), its normal timing is 3 seconds. The Success action will be executed after that display time. I would consider to take out the embedded Success shape and replace it by a custom shape or caption which is initially hidden in output. Use the Success action to show that custom shape and the normal action you want to happen. In that case the custom shape will remain visible as long as you don't hide it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I think most of what you say makes sense. This is my first project in Captivate so I am still figuring out where things are and what to call them. My quiz slides were custom built, not normal quiz slides.

Are you suggesting that I uncheck the option for the success caption here, then create a shape to replace it? Then I would write an action script to show the shape when the quiz is succesfully completed? 

2020-11-13_11-36-21.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I am confused. In the question I read clearly: "drag and drop quizzes." And my answer was meant for drag&drop slides. That is why I asked if they were set up as Quiz slides or Knowledge Check slides? A KC slide is NOT scored, a quiz slide is scored. AFAIK it is not possible to create 'custom' drag&drop slides, as you can create custom quiz slides like MCQ, T/F, Matching, Sequence... A D&D slide has a lot but not all features of those other quiz slides, but is never custom.

In the screenshot I see that you did configure the D&D slide as a quiz slide, with Infinite attempts. Please, never put the pausing point at 0.1secs, leave it at 1.5secs, this is too close to the start of the slide. I don't know which objects are used for drag sources, drop targets but it is never a good idea to pause so early. What was the reason for that change? Since it is configured as a 3pt scored slide, it makes no sense to come back to the slide to answer, since the answer will be blocked when you leave the slide. Or did you change the Quiz Preferences to 'Submit All'? Never tried it with D&D slides... may work.

You created an advanced action, would like to see that action.  It needs to include the 'Show FeedbackSuccess' command if you want to go with the workflow, and just deactivate the Success shape (it is not a caption, that is a terminology bug).  I need to see the advanced action, because you may expect to have the learner see the FeedbackSuccess shape before moving on to the next slide, which is probably included in that advanced action. With this setup, learner will need to accomplish the D&D slide before being able to move on. That is different from what you wrote in the question. In that situation I don't see any advantage in having that Success feedback message displayed eternally. If you want to allow a Review of the D&D slides, you will have to set it up manually. Here is a blog explaining a possible workflow:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/create-review-state-for-scored-drag-and-drop-slide

http://blog.lilybiri.com/d-and-d-feedback-messages

I understand that Captivate is new to you, and it may be better to explain what you really want to achieve. Some ideas applied here let me suspect misunderstandings. Are you showing the Next button (mentioned in the question) with the advanced action? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Some ideas applied here let me suspect misunderstandings." LOL. Yes I have lots of "misunderstandings", but somehow I have managed to create what I want with the one exception of leaving the success caption shape on for the duration. 

I did not set the pause during intentionally, so thanks for telling me to make it longer.

It is possible to fail a quiz, go on to the next lesson, take that quiz, then return to the failed quiz to try again. I want it to work this way.

The navigtation also allows a user to return to a lesson they have already passed. I don't see this as a problem if the success caption is visible reminding them that they finished that section.

Yes, I am showing the Next button with an advanced action upon successful completion. Another advanced action tells the Next button on the quiz slides to jump to the final slide when the total score is 12 (3x4). 

A failure caption allows the user to reset and try again. There are also navigation buttons on all four quizzes allowing the user to give up and jump to another lesson.

I really appreciate you trying to help me. You are a master at this. I'm just a frustrated new Captivate user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a terminology problem to start with. You talk about a quiz, but mean 1 Drag&Drop slide, correct? The learner needs to complete that D&D slide before being able to move on, since the Next button only appears on Success.  You have Infinite Attempts. After each failed attempt the Failure message appears indeed (I would change it into a Retry message, reason why I posted the link to the blog about feedback messages). 

Normally they cannot 'give up' on a D&D slide. For a normal quiz slide you can have a Skip button, but that is not the case for a D&D slide. 

The basic problem is that you cannot have free navigation throughout question slides, and by adding a score to the D&D slide it was turned into a quiz slide. Once the learner leaves a question slide, whatever number of attempts left, all those remaining attempts are lost. You may allow them to come back to the answered D&D slide, but they will not be able to change the answer or to take another attempt.

You could take another approach: you can have multiple attempts on Quiz level. With Quiz I mean the collection of all the question slides (4 in your case).  Offer the learner a limited amount of attempts on question level (not Infinite attempts), let us say 3 attempts. You will get a Failure event with a possible action. That Failure action is really a Last Attempt action, and will only be done if after the last (3rd) attempt. You can show the Next button (or Skip button) to allow the learner to continue without success for that question slide. The Success feedback will not be visible. After reaching the Score slide, the learner will see that he has not succeeded 100%, but can take another attempt on quiz level, by clicking a Retake button on the score slide. All answers on the question slides (here D&D) will be reset, and the learner retakes with a score ==0. 

The score slide can also have a Review button, but that is not very useful in this case, because a Review status is not automatically generated for D&D slides. That is the reason I posted the first link, to explain how you can create such a review status.

I don't know exactly what you mean by 'another lesson'. To me that would be another published Captivate project, but from the rest of the explanations I think you are talking about a group of content slides in the same project, which is also followed by a D&D  slide. I just try to understand the setup.

No screenshot of the advanced action (maybe could better be a shared action since you need it at least 4 times). 

Please test the project with F11, Preview HTML in Browser. It may become clarified when you see that result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all your help. Although I am not sure I understand yet a lot of what you have explained, your blog clued me into the concept of custom variables. I was able to create a variable for each drag and drop quiz slide set to 0. I then created an advanced action to change the value of the variable to 1 when sucessfuly completed. If a user returns to the quiz with variable set to 1, an object displays on the slide letting them know they already completed it. I achieved what I set out to do, even if I may not have achieved it with conventional methods. I greatly appreciate you leading my in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You always have different ways to reach the goal. Your workflow is more complicated, but is valid. Try to remember that when you show anything on a slide it will remain visible until you hide it. Instead of using a variable, just using the Success action of the D&D slide to make that 'feedback' visible would have been sufficient. No need to toggle a user variable nor an advanced action On Enter for the slide. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources