Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

How to remove pause from Text Entry Box

Engaged ,
Mar 26, 2014 Mar 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saw a discussion on this in the archives, but didn't exactly address what I was hoping. Basically I'm hoping to use a Text Entry box to allow a user to save notes for the project. Yes, I know that there is a notes widget, but I'm not a fan of it. Is there a way to remove the automatic pausing of the TEB? Or is there something else someone else has done to allow users to take notes rather than the Notes widget?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Certainly you are able to configure a TEB so it doesn't pause, but it sort of defeats the purpose. If it's not paused, the viewer will only have as long as it appears on the slide to interact with it. Certainly there is an option to configure if it loses focus, but there is no option to say "pause playback if it gains focus", which is likely what you would need.

Look in the Timing section of the Properties panel if you wish to remove the pause.

Cheers... Rick

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully I'm not missing something, but other buttons and such have a checkbox next to the "Pause After" portion of timing. TEB boxes do not seem to have this and indeed, even if I set it to 0 or whatever, it just defaults to 0.1 seconds.

TEBTiming.png

I'm hoping to try and use the text I collect from their notes added into this TEB to be able to display at a final review slide before a quiz. Not sure if it's going to work, but I don't want to force a user to use the notes box, hence the disabling of a pause.

I'm open to other ideas of how to allow taking notes without using the notes widget. If there's anything better.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad, you are correct. I must need more coffee!

The TEB will always pause. But as I explained earlier, if the slide doesn't pause, there isn't much time for the user to interact with it. Likely the reason you cannot turn off the pause.

Cheers... Rick

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't agree that it defeats the purpose. For instructional designers with a more creative intention in mind and no javascript skills, there are a lot of advantages to having a TEB that doesn't pause the slide. For example I am creating a game where a learner has to identify a series of items on screen before the playhead reaches the end of the timeline and advances to the next slide. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want a place to write notes, just like that? Try the Scrolling Text Interaction or the TextArea widget.

Lilybiri

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri, the scrolling text interaction looks promising since it allows you to assign a variable. However, I don't want to have a review slide at the end of the project has to drawn on a separate variable for each slide notes and some how arrange them together. Seems like a lot of work at the end there. Any idea on how to have notes carry over from one slide to the next compounding into the same variable so that I can simply show a final $$VariableName$$ type caption on a final review slide?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try to check How (being the workaround queen ) later, I am in a webinar, have another one in 10 minutes. Always multitasking

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed you are! Looking forward to what you come up with

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to verify if my intuition was correct. If you insert that interaction (or widget) and time it for the rest of the project, you can add as many text on each slide as you want, within the limits of the variable (= mx 250 characters). It will be stored in the variable.

Lilybiri

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, but say I duplicated the interaction for each slide, thus having the same variable. Would adding new notes on the 2nd slide override the notes of the 1st? Or is there a way that they can just keep adding content via the interaction to the same variable so that on a final slize before a quiz I can just have a $$VariableName$$ Caption output all of their notes they've collected?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it out, and added text on each slide, which got in the same variable. I had only one widget for the whole project.

If you want separate notes on each slide, you'll need a user variable for each slide, at the end create a text container in which you insert all the variables.

If you duplicate the widget and use the same variable, the content will be replaced.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm that's what I figured. Maybe too much work than it's worth.. *sigh*. Thanks for your help though

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like what you need is a simple Flash animation that you would turn on and off to take notes in.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also hide/show the interaction I talked about. But apparently what is bothering the OP is the fact that all the notes show up in the same interaction if you just want one timed for the rest of the project.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue because I am creating a course where I want learners to be able to enter notes as they watch a video. What I did was set the text entry box to pause 0.1 seconds before the end of the slide. Since I have a 'continue' button that appears 1 sec before the end of the slide and pauses the slide 0.5 seconds after it appears, the text entry box's timing  never gets a chance to pause the slide because the Continue button does it first.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines