Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML5 and LMS error

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

I've run into an issue, which I know has been discussed before, but could not see an answer that meets our needs.

We had created lessons, which includes a quiz at the end of it using an older Captivate and flash. The LMS is set to "Other Standard LMSs" and SCORM 1.2. What we did was at the end of the quiz uising a pdf widget was create a certificate based on the results and emailed to the office. When using flash it would work fine with no errors.

I've been in the midst of updating the lessons using Captivate 11.5.5.553 and before end of 2020 was publishing as an exe. When running locally it all fine and wasn't getting any errors. Now that I have moved to HTML5 it is producing the "unable to acquire LMS API" even though it is the same project.

I was wondering what is fundamentally different in terms of the quiz between the exe (flash) and HTML5? Why does the HTML5 produce the "unable to acquire LMS API" and the exe version doesn't. Is there anything I can do to stop this message?

The one thing about our lessons is that it is ship-based and so the end-user is not gauranteed to have internet connectivity. For this reason we cannot rely on cloud LMS and why we create a pdf certificate based on their results.

Many thanks

Phil.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The EXE version was disabling the LMS output.  The EXE version was simply an SWF file running inside a standalone player.   EXE content doesn't have the ability to communicate with a SCORM LMS, so even if you do have LMS reporint turned on, it simply gets turned off when publishing.

To communicate with a SCORM LMS you need to be using JavaScript calls.  Captivate normally publishes the necessary JS integration files to do this when you publish to HTML5.  Just not with EXE or PDF export.  

If your content is saying "unable to acquire LMS API" that means that the JS files are there ine published output and they are trying to communicate with an LMS but cannot find one.  This is usually because you are trying to run SCORM content locally from your computer.  Try uploading the same SCORM ZIP files to an LMS like SCORM Cloud and see what happens then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your reply. In my original question due to our users being offshore we don't want to be able to connect to a LMS and because of this we do the results slightly differently by creating a file. Is it possible to be able to manually stop the  HTML trying to communicate with an LMS like the exe version?

Thanks

Phil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off LMS reporting in the Quiz > Reporting preferences.  That's the only reason it would be trying to communicate with an LMS.  The settings are currently telling it to look for an LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another alternative but only for rather small projects: create an app (PhoneGap) which can be downloaded and installed before going off line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to you both for your thoughts. It is something I will look into. One thing I have noticed is that as long as I set the quiz preferences first and then can uncheck "report to LMS" the message disappears. Interesting enough though at the end of the quiz (just simple questions) it reports the results.

If I can sort out the creating of a pdf with the results at the end of the lesson (used to have a widget in an older version of Captivate) then that would be good.

Regards

Phil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off reporting to the LMS will remove the error message you were seeing when playing the content locally.

But if you have not hidden the Quiz Results slide, then yes, the course module will show the results at the end of the quiz.  That does NOT mean it is sending results anywhere.  It just means that the results are shown for the benefit of the learner so that they know whether or not they passed the quiz.  That's usually seen as a good thing.  

You can either just right click the Quiz Results slide in the filmstrip and select Hide Slide.  Or you can go to the Quiz > Settings and deselect the checkbox for Show Score at End of Quiz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe PhoneGap was discontinued in October 2020. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources