• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

html5 error when previewing or publishing responsive project (Captivate 2019)

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be greatful if someone could help with an issue I have had since installing Captivate. Each time I try to preview a project I get the below error. I think it is linked to responsive projects as I get the error trying to preview a blank responsive project. I can preview simple projects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

error.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into your Settings in Windows, find the Default Applications area, and change your Default Web Browser to another browser.  E.g. if the default currently shows MS Edge, try changing it to Chrome, or vice versa.  That usually fixes the error for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help RodWard, I changed it from Edge to Chrome, it loaded and then gave the error. Same when I changed it to Firefox...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide more information about your system?

Is this your own personal computer or are you working in a corporate environment where the settings are locked down by your IT department?

Did you just recently do any kind of update or change to your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is my own computer, I'm on Windows 10 home edition. I haven't changed anything recently but I should note that I am new to Captivate so since installing I have not been able to preview a responsive project - not sure if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Well if you haven't been able to use the HTML5 preview even once since installing Captivate there may be something on your system that is blocking it from working.

The HTML5 preview functionality relies on Captivate creating a temporary localhost web server environment in which to display the output.  Looking carefully at the URL in the error message image you posted, there seems to be a spelling mistake in the name of the index.html file.

Here's what a typical temp URL for HTML5 preview looks like on my system:

HTML5PreviewMisspelled.png

Note the difference in the spelling of the filename at the end?  In your screenshot the file is named rindex.html not index.html  I have no idea why this should be the case, but can I suggest that you try publishing again and this time (if necessary) correct the URL spelling in your browser's address bar to see if you can view the output when the final filename is pointing to index.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that but it just tries to google the url, am I doing something wrong?

url1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, I think the r before index relates to responsive. When I preview a non responsive project within Captivate it plays but when I choose to preview it in the browser I get an error as well

non responsive.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is looking more like some kind of block or filtering that is happening on your own system.

This time it's saying it cannot find the server IP address.  The temp web server environment only exists when Captivate is open and you have used the option to Live Preview on Devices.

The example I showed you from my own system was also a responsive project.  That extra 'r' in front of the index.html filename should not be there (as far as I am aware) otherwise it would have been present also in my own screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources