• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If I already published with SWF & HTML5, do I need to republish with just HTML5?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already converted all of my Flash projects to HTML5, but someone from a different department asked me today if they originally published with SWF and HTML5, do they need to republish to just HTML5 in order to be sure their content still works when Flash support ends? 

I know with other products (Storyline), the browser will first look for the HTML5 content, and only use the Flash content as a fallback, but I'm not sure if Captivate also works that way. Sounds like a browser-specific thing to me...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

You need to republish, because the choice is made based on detecting the type of device. For desktop and laptop SWF version is offered at this moment, for mobile devices it is HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to republish, because the choice is made based on detecting the type of device. For desktop and laptop SWF version is offered at this moment, for mobile devices it is HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Lilybiri, I'll pass that on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have all of my courses saved as HTML5/SWF, but when I try to launch on an iPad it tries to play in Flash.

According to this note shouldn't it fallback to HTML5 and play just fine?

Here are the settings:

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 3.10.54 PM.png

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already answered that you shouldn't use dual publishiig at all, only to HTML5.

If you use a desktop browser on iPad, dual publishing will try to play the SWF output. Only for mobile browsers it will play HTML5 output. Now it is end of 2020, Flash player needed for SWF output will not even be supported for desktop browsers anymore. Why dual publishing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you-

The hardware we use for ~16,000 users functions on a legacy browser (Firefox 38) due to needs of crucial web services we also use in those retail locations. Because of this, HTML5 is not supported, so we have to use Flash.

We are in the middle of upgrading hardware now, and using iPads to cover ground while we transition. I thought I had been smart by dual publishing every course (100+) for when this transition would occur, but I guess I was wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry about that. Since at least 3years I recommend to publish separately to SWF and HTML if you really need both outputs. Reason is that Captivate doesn't offer the choice, it shows automatically the SWF version if you use a desktop browser. If I am correct (not an Apple fan) on iPad you can have the choice for browser, but imposing on all your learners to choose the mobile browser is almost impossible I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You probably already have republished, but I thought that I would pass along a tip that has not been considered.

If you have published as both SWF and HTML5 the file called multiscreen.html was designed to detect if the device had Flash or not. If it had Flash, that file would then launch the swf fil. If it did not, then it would launch the index.html file. If your environment allows easy access to  he files, just replace the multiscreen.html with a copy of the index.html file but rename this copy to multiscreen.html. This can be a helpful alternative if few have Captivate for replublishing but many hands can be available for this file copy and rename procedure. It is also useful if you tended toward publish once and point to that file from many disparate places. This was led me to use this method. The same math lesson could be used in many grade levels in K-12, so multiple course might point oto the one published Captivate lessons. Going in to update all the links was not an option. All those links could stay pointing to multiscreen.html and now just direct to the html version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources