• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Interactive animation - YouTube Video or Captivate to self host?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I'm wanting to make a choose your own adventure animation (branching scenario).  It can be done via uploading videos to YouTube with links at end for each of the branching scenarios or it can be done via Captivate.  

I'm trying to figure out the benefits of self-hosting the end product that is made using Captivate (so long as Wordpress has a Captivate plugin) vs having the videos hosted on YouTube.  

Obviously the quality would be better if it is built using Captivate and we could add more interactive features.  But it would also come at a great deal more cost.  Does anyone have any advice on the benefits of each please? 

Thank you!

TOPICS
Advanced , Audio and video , Branching , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very simple: YouTube can only host non-interactive, passive video.

If you need interactivity, you use a webserver or a LMS. I embed interactive tutorials using an iFrame in my blog posts, which point to the URL of the uploaded published folder. In my case that upload is to a subfolder of my domain, where my blog site and website are hosted. But you can also use public webservers like AWS.

Here is the link to the most recent blog post with an embedded Captivate output:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/combining-slide-audio-and-play-audio

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can only upload MP4 videos to YouTube.  This then limits your interactivity and branching to the links the users can click when leaving the video.  You cannot upload Captivate's highly interactive HTML5 content to YouTube.

But while an MP4 video is just one file, HTML5 content is a collection of many files, potentially numbering in the hundreds.

If you are going to host your Captivate HTML5 output from a WordPress website, you will need access to the webserver folder structure so that you can upload these collections to a folder location and then link to the index.html file that launches the rest of the content. 

There is no Captivate plugin for WordPress, but there are some WordPress plugins that are basic LMSs and can accept SCORM packages created with Captivate.  LearnDash is one.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines