• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it Correct that I need to save some files on c://folder with no connection to onedrive? which?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read some articles, probably missed a few

- stating that using for example Onedrive for some of Captivate folders may corrupt projects.

Which folders/type of media and project files etc should/could I:

1) put in C:/Folder with no syncing to Onedrive?

2) put on any Onedrive folder which is locally saved and also synced by onedrive to cloud

3) put on Network folder/ Sharepoint etc -  files and folders which may not be locally on my computer

Regards Jan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

I did see users mentioning problems with OneDrive, but told that I didn't experience the same issues.

However my cache folder is not in OneDrive. I point to a D\:drive which is a HDD  whereas my first drive is a SSD.  The cache is not synchronized to OneDrive. That may be why I do not have problems using OneDrive for my projects... good cache on your side. I often wondered why I can use OneDrive myself. It also explains why opening an existing project on another system from OneDrive can take lon

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use locally saved with synchronisation to OneDrive for all my projects.  

Never use the third solution. Some users claim problems when using synching with OneDrive but I never experienced them and need to switch often between systems. When going to another system I need to download the project, which happens automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I have the same need to sometimes change computer - and having main part in Onedrive would be good.
I am just getting started so I am trying to understand how to start as smart as possible structure wise.

Just to not misunderstand - I read another response from you:

"Do not use OneDrive, which is cloud-based. Try to publish to a folder on yur system."

https://community.adobe.com/t5/captivate-discussions/fail-to-publish-error/m-p/12321702 

for me my work-files in my computer are all locally within Onedrive folder - and they are synced automatically when changed via Onedrive.JanneSjo_0-1637522544041.png

Is this what you are doing also?

your response cloud-based Onedrive - what is an example of that? (I guess similar to my sharepoint?)

I read some parts of cache local etc below is one with problem - names with blank first, which does not sync and suggested not in onedrive.
Do you also have the local cache in Onedrive? 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/captivate-discussions/captivate-2019-creates-invalid-file-type-when-p... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did see users mentioning problems with OneDrive, but told that I didn't experience the same issues.

However my cache folder is not in OneDrive. I point to a D\:drive which is a HDD  whereas my first drive is a SSD.  The cache is not synchronized to OneDrive. That may be why I do not have problems using OneDrive for my projects... good cache on your side. I often wondered why I can use OneDrive myself. It also explains why opening an existing project on another system from OneDrive can take longer, since it has no access to the cache folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok good then I try to do as you do, for others reading this in future: 

use onedrive local folders autosynced to Onedrive 

but put cache in local folder not synced to Onedrive 🙂

And maybe using another such as V: for images/video and other media which may be common with others

Thanks for your help.

Side note

Many years ago I made a lot of video editing for myself with Adobe Premiere elements - and back then it was very important to spread the load on several hard drives, cache , media, Premiere in different hard drives etc.

Openig these old project files today work if I use same name for drives m: v: etc - otherwise big issues.

Today SSD make things better - but I guess also here it is good to have a strategy for external media (videos/images etc) on separate drive or folder as virtual drive and to keep that drive same name such as v: so that projectfile finds external media when working on different computers.

I may also use Premiere and others so trying to set up structure for all to work even when moving to another computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inserted media in Captivate will become part of the project. It is not the same as with Premiere Pro nor InDesign. 

Indeed, I remember those days as well 🙂 but currently with Cloud storage and SSDs many of those workarounds have become superfluous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see - tested now and MP4 stays in Captivate project regardless of original file.

good and bad I guess - filesize may get big on project with a lot of videos.

I guess alternative is to use youtube or vimeo but that only seem to work with one video per slide.

I am going to use Wordpress and Learndash and had thought of using vimeo or bunnynet for storing videos - I guess HTML5 can be stored at bunny.net - but I would need Vimeo/youtube for any videos not stored in project.

A lot to learn...

thank you for your help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can link to a streaming service where you upload the videos if you don't want to embed them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my local Documents folder automatically synced to OneDrive, and that works just fine, as one's always only working on a local copy with Captivate and other apps.

The only thing that is a bit annoying:

If you select the 'Free up space' option in the Sync Client for a Captivate project file to save local hdd space and only keep the reference for re-downlad on demand, and that project file is among the last you had open in Captivate, it will automatically attempt to download it from OneDrive on every Captivate launch just to display the thumbnail on the Welcome screen, whether you want to open that specific file in your current Captivate session or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources