• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue in opening captivate file

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't open my source file. When I try to open this is the message i'm getting.

All other captivate files are opening expect the one.

Kindly suggest me to recover the file.Issue.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This message normally means you are trying to open a file which is newer than your version. Captivate is backward but not forward compatiable. For exmaple if you have Captivate 2017 you cannot open a file which was created in 2019. Also if the the file has been created in 2019 make sure you have the latest version has there was an upgrade recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response Peter. I created the file using captivate 2019 and still can't open this.

Kindly suggest how can i recover that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you created all of these files with the same version of Captivate then there are two possibilities why you cannot open this one:

• The file is locked because the last time it closed down there was some issue.  Look for a file in the same directory as the CPTX with something like LCK in its name.  If you see that file, delete it and try again to open the CPTX.
  • The file has become corrupted.  If this happens, you may be able to recover the file via the Backup file (if you had Automatic Backups enabled in Preferences).  If not, then your only other solution would be to recover the project file from the Project Cache.  See this blog post: http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-troubleshooting/recover-corrupt-project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Rod. I found this file "already_in_use.lock" hidden in the cached folder. I deleted it and tried to open in captivate but it opens an empty page. 

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the Lock file I was talking about.  I said to look for a LCK file in the same directory as the CPTX.  If you don't see one there, then that wasn't the problem.

You may still be able to recover the project using the method described in my blog post, as long as you can correctly identify which folder in the cache is the correct one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have that LCK file. I will follow the instructions in your blog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

I followed the same instructions as mentioned but still I'm getting the same message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then if you have recovered the CPTX from the Cache (as described on my blog) and there is no content, only blank slides, there's really nothing else you can do.

I take it you did not have automatic backups turned on in Captivate Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit - Preferences -> Global settings -> Generate Project backup is turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is turned on by default in version 11.6 (pleaded for that, and was heard :))

Howeveer that will only help if you reopened the project. If this was the first time and you never saved it before, you'll have no backup nor a cache folder with meaningful content. Training your fingers to do a CTRL-S regularly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make sure you have downloaded the latest version 11.5.1.499. I believe this is the latest update. You can find what version you have via the Help Menu -> About Adobe Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I just checked. I'm using the same version you mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources