Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Last Attempt is not working in software simulation

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can someone help with my problem of using last attempt?
I'm creating software simulation in Captivate 2019. For some text entry boxes, I want users to try maximum 3 times. If users reach the max attempts, the slide should continue.

I have unchecked the "Infinite Attempts", and changed "last attempt" to "go to the next slide" (I also tried the Continue action). For the setup, please see the attached image.

But when I preview with HTML5 in browser, it's not working. After 3 attempts, the slide cannot move to the next. For the further attempts, only failure text will not show; nothing happens.
I also published the simulation, and put it on GitHub where we will host this video. When previewing in GitHub, the last attempt action (either "Continue" or "go to next slide") is not working too.

I'm not sure if I made something wrong. Any help will be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... I have created a lot of software simulations in Training or Assessment mode and always use either 2 or 3 attempts for each action to be done by the learner.  I cannot see anything wrong on the tiny screenshot, although I prefer to use the same action for Success and Failure but that is not relevant (you use Continue and Go to Next slide). You show a Failure caption (always the same) but no Success caption. The playhead remains blocked at the same frame (1.5 secs in)? Are you sure to have pressed Enter on the third attempt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily,

I'm sure I have pressed the shortcut Enter for each attempt.Thank you for your hint.

I have found a solution.

If I change the "on success" from "continue" to "go to next slide", then if the last attempt fails,  it will automatically move to the next slide with "last attemp" action defined as "continue" or "go to next slide".   Not sure why the "on success" action will affect the last attempt ation. But as I tested, this change work for me.

Another finding from me is that if I leave the '"on success" action to "continue", I have to leave the "active" period as long enough for the max attempts. For example, If the time is beyond the active period, the slide will not move to the next slide after the last attempt, even I enter the right input.
But defining the active period is tricky, as some users might linger on the page and think before entering the input, while the active period has past. In that case, the slide will not jump to the next slide even entering the right anwer.

But changing the "on success" to "go to next slide" works for me, even though the active period is short.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is really strange, because for HTML5 output the term 'inactive' has no meaning anymore, an interactive object will be active all the time, even during the 'inactive' part. It is only the pausing point which is important. 

Personally I always use 'Go to Next Slide' for both Success and Last Attempt. I wonder if the fact thatyou took out the Success caption is important? But have no time today to double-check. Feedback messages normally appear for the duration in the Timing panel, and the playhead remains paused during their appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources