• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking Captivate files, and preserving variables

Participant ,
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large Captivate file, 193 slides, 72 MB when published.  I am using Captivate 7 on Windows at a client site, but I also have Captivate 7 and 8 on my own Mac.

At 72MB the program often fails during download.  I don't know if this will be better in an LMS, but I think I need to manage the size to be on the safe side.

I know I can link projects, but the problem is that I have a short quiz, and a user-defined variable to track whether the user has completed the quiz.

• There are three scenarios, based on the user's job. 
  • They only need to complete one scenario, plus the quiz, for lesson completion, but they can go back and view the other scenarios as well. 
  • If they choose a second scenario they skip the quiz and go directly to the lesson summary, where they can choose another scenario or exit the lesson.

I have not had the need to split lessons previously, and from what I can see, i would have to manage passing the variables on my own.  Has anyone done this, and how successful was it?

A better solution for me would be to find a way to reduce the file size of the .swf, to avoid the problem altogether.  Any ideas on that would be appreciated (e.g. not loading the whole lesson at once).

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to check out CPGuru's Save and Load Data widget. But it will not work in HTML5 outputs.

http://www.cpguru.com/save-and-load-data-widget-for-adobe-captivate/

I haven't used the widget myself and I don't see an option to download the trial of that widget. So, I suggest you write to Michael (owner of the widget) with your specific requirement before making a decision.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Captivate Community,

I have a similar concern to this original post and was hoping to revive it - maybe someone has some new or different information to add?

I am creating a large course with Modules and Lessons and Topics. I do not have access or use an LMS. This is on a closed system not connected to the internet but I am still publishing as HTML5 output using Captivate 2019, not a responsive course.

I'm trying to do the branching and module/lesson/topic completion through Captivate variables.

I have gotten this to work generically using Open File or URL and setting a relative path. But of course when I return to the 'mainmenu' project it starts at the beginning. I would like to jump directly to the menu page they were originally on.

I thought passing a value for cpCmndGotoFrameAndResume might work:

Open URL or file: URL = "..\..\Lesson1\Topic1\index.html?cpCmndGotoFrameAndResume=100"

but it did not 🙂

I'm thinking I would have to write code in the html to handle that passed variable and I'm not trying to do that.

Anybody else have this type of situation or any thoughts on how I might structure this?

thanks for your time!

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are intending to persist variable data for Captivate HTML5 content delivered from a web server (not necessarily an LMS), this link might provide some useful information:

https://widgetking.github.io/cpextra/features/feature-list.html#data-persistence

For Data Persistence, your options usually boil down to using either Local Storage or URL-encoding.

The CpExtra widget can help with either one, but you need to be very clear about what you are trying to achieve.

If you do not have an LMS, but you DO happen to have a web server capable of running PHP and MySQL, then I strongly recommend you consider installing Moodle, the open-source LMS.  It's a very usable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I will look into the CPextra widget option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this correct: "...This is on a closed system not connected to the internet"? If the course is not deployed from a webserver, how do you use it?

The system variable cpCmndGotoFrameAndResume is meant for micro-navigation within a project. You could use it to trigger an action like described in this blog, but you cannot just add it to an URL:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/replay-or-reset-slide

The concept of micro-navigation:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/micro-navigation-introduction

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct - it is a closed system not connected to the internet.  There is an internal network (intranet) but this training course is meant to be stand-alone as if it were being run from a CD.   I used to publish as EXE but that is not an option anymore since that requires the Flash player somehow..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't answer yesterday because of that sentence. Local storage can be used when you use a browser and the course is deployed on a webserver (or a LMS). Sorry, but with a standalone version, I cannot help you. This is a big loss, not being able anymore to have such a standalone version, thanks to the banishment of SWF...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources