• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LMSSetValue - How to remove it?

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with a vendor to upload two Captivate courses. The vendor handles all the uploading and connecting of things - I just hand them a zip file, so I know very little about their process. The two modules are apparently jumping directly to the "thanks for watching" slide at the end. I cannot replicate it on my own system here, so I don't know what's happening. The vendor sent the notice below and I have no idea how to fix it. I don't know how they found the error. My opening slide has no "on enter" actions and only has a button to go to the next slide.

From the vendor:

After some further investigation, our Technical Team has advised me that the issue with these courses is the following value causing the course to be marked as completed immediately: LMSSetValue cmi.core.lesson_status, ‘completed’. If you could please correct this, and re-upload these courses, we would be glad to update the site. Thank you! 

Can someone guide me to where I might address that LMSSetValue?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to double-check in SCORM Cloud? If it works in SCORM Cloud, which is the standard for SCORM, the problem is with the LMS, not with Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have not - our normal process doesn't use SCORM, so I only publish files as SCORM once in a blue moon for this vendor. Is SCORM cloud something I need to set up so I can test?

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it from within Captivate.  Or you can just go to their website, you can upload a number of files for free and get a log report. To me this looks like a very weird issue... You can post a screenshot of the Reporting setup, could check that as well. I cannot even guess at a reason why a course is immediately classified as being watched. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just set up an account and ran through it perfectly. I have no idea what's happening on their end - sort of a black box, which is annoying. Is there even a place where that element they're asking me to adjust can be viewed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell the LMS people that the Captivate course runs perfectly on SCORM Cloud (Rustici), which means the problem is with the LMS. You can even invite them to your published course on that site. 

That value is normally included with the information transferred to the LMS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting up a testing account now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please show us a screenshot of your settings on the Quiz > Settings > Reporting screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rod I already asked for this, but you may have missed that the course is working as expected in SCORM Cloud, but not in the LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I saw that it is working in SCORM Cloud, but the problem is that not all LMSs work the way SCORM Cloud does and sometimes you can tweak the settings to make Captivate output compatible with an LMS that is not as "SCORM-compliant" as SCORM Cloud itself is. 

No one beats SCORM Cloud for compliance with the standard because the people behind SCORM Cloud were the same ones that worked on the SCORM standard itself.

But an LMS doesn't have to match SCORM Cloud in order to call itself "compliant" because the SCORM standard (at least for SCORM 1.2) leaves a fair amount of ambiguity on the table and this is one of the main reasons why more than half of the 600 or more LMSs on the planet haven't bothered with trying to comply with later versions like SCORM 2004.

So I am asking for screenshots to see if perhaps something jumps out as being the reason WHY this particular LMS is jumping to award completion right at the beginning of the module rather than waiting until the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attaching screenshot of the quiz settings screen. Was in meetings all afternoon yesterday, so just getting back into the module. Thanks for chiming in to help!

The module doesn't actually have a quiz, so I could switch it to Slide Views, I suppose. But I used the same settings for other modules for the same LMS and didn't have this issue. It's been about a year since we uploaded a new module to this vendor, so it's highly likely they changed some settings on their end. I've never had to deal with a different vendor's upload process like this before. I've always been the person doing the upload bit, so this is difficult to troubleshoot. Anyway - I appreciate the help.

scorm-quiz-settings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha just realized I logged in under a different email address, but magically with the same soccer ball. It's still me, I promise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some LMSs expect every module to have some kind of score submitted.

Even though you don't have a quiz, I would suggest you try adding a button near the end of the module (e.g. last or second last slide) and give that button a score of 10 points or something when it is clicked by the user. 

Your current setting of Quiz is Passed  is fine as long as there is something that is submitting a score, which clicking that button should give.

If this strategy works and solves your issue when you test, just make it seem compulsory for all users to click that button when they get to it.  Label it something like Register Completion On the LMS!  That usually persuades people that they need to do something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod,

I adjusted that completion piece at the end - but not sure what it'll do. The person I'm emailing with doesn't sound familiar with Captivate, so this is challenging to sort out. 

"When building this course, there is a flag set behind the scenes (LMSSetValue cmi.core.lesson_status) that is showing the course as being completed on the first slide, which is preventing the user from viewing the course contents. Could you change this to make sure that the course is flagged as complete only when the user finishes the course?"

It is just too broad of a response. "You just fold it in!" 

Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We see similar cop out answers from LMS providers on this forum all the time.  You've already tested this module in SCORM Cloud LMS and found it worked perfectly, right?  That indicates that the issue is NOT really with the SCORM package but with the way your LMS is interpreting it. 

But most LMS vendors are not interested in fixing their product, so they blame your course and e-learning tool.  Going back to them and pointing out that SCORM Cloud (or even Moodle if you can get access to it) has no issue with your module is generally an effective way of getting them to look harder at what the reason might be.

Oftentimes we have seen that the fact other LMSs outperform their own is enough leverage to get better support.  The LMS market is intensely competetive and people tend to change from one to another quite often, so vendors at risk of losing a client are more driven to provide better support.

Lean on them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know that setting the "update transcript" button to report to the quiz worked. Thanks for that suggestion!

Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources