Exit

Lock position of buttons when changing resolution

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Captivate Community, 

i am really in need of some advice.

Basically i have imported a very big powerpoint file from my client into a responsive captivate file.

All i want to do, is to rebuild the interactive buttons from the original powerpoint file. 

So i started setting up buttons and making them just jump ahead to the according chapter.

My issue now is that when i scale down the resolution, and preview the file on a smaller screensize, the buttons i have set up scale down inappropriatetly, everything shifts and everything gets unaligned

Is there a way to fix this behavior?

I have added two pictures to showcase my issue better

PS:

There are zero fluid boxes used.

I understand that importing power point files isnt advised.

I understand that i should preferrably fully rebuild the whole presentation from the ground up with fluid boxes and what not.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Why not use a non-responsive project which you publish with Scalable HTML feature checked? In that case you don't have any limitations, you can use click boxes on top of images or shapes, but they still will scale down and up. Sorry, but I never use PPT to start a Captivate project, and certainly wouldn't even dream of trying this to become a responsive project.  If this was a CP project, you wouldn't need click boxes, because you could use rectangular shapes as buttons. Your problem is that you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed PPT and responsive projects are never a good marriage.

Can you explain how you made a responsive project without using fluid boxes? Logically that means that you never will have a responsive project, unless you used the older Breakpoint views workflow?  You probably have only a scalable HTML non-responsive project?

Moreover, if I am correct, you did add click boxes on top of images, but click boxes are only allowed in static fluid boxes. At least if 'Klickfeld' (German) is the translation of a Click box. First practical tip: avoid using stacked objects if you want the project ot be responsive.

If this was a unique slide (not a long PPT deck) you could use Position Properties to set up this slide, which is similar to the way that panel is used in Breakpoint views workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Lilybiri, thank you for your input.

I created this project by using File - New Project - Responsive Project from PowerPoint File.

I selected the PPTX, imported everything and captivate did the rest. Yes its not really responsive, since all that happens now is that the static slides just scale down as a whole. There is no dynamic change of the content. Which is fine.

Yes i been placing "Klickfeld" aka Click Fields to act as my invisible buttons. Should i avoid using them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use a non-responsive project which you publish with Scalable HTML feature checked? In that case you don't have any limitations, you can use click boxes on top of images or shapes, but they still will scale down and up. Sorry, but I never use PPT to start a Captivate project, and certainly wouldn't even dream of trying this to become a responsive project.  If this was a CP project, you wouldn't need click boxes, because you could use rectangular shapes as buttons. Your problem is that you only have a global static or video slide, no individual objccts from the PPT import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the client is absolutely fine having it be a scaleable html file. i wasnt aware a non-responsive captivate project has that ability. i will try to start a fresh non responsive project and see if that will fix my issue with the moving buttons.

i will report back once i have tried, thank you for your input so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much for your input, everything has been working out just fine since i started using a static captivate project!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! Thanks for the heads up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources