• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make the student continue from the slide he / she stopped last time (web server)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to make sure that the student can continue from the slide where he left off last time, my class is being published in HTML on a common web server, I use a non-LMS system to manage the classes and grades. There would be some way for me to be able to get the value of the note and pass it via js and then when the student logs in I insert this value in the class and send the student directly to the slide on which he stopped.
Obs. I use quiz in class.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS , Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate does have the built in feature under Project > Table of contents > settings > self-paced learning.  That will probably accomplish what you are asking.  When you reenter the course, it will display a popup asking to continue where you left off. Unfortunately if you have a course with a large number of slides, your users could encounter problems with the extremely large string stored in the cookie.

The system I designed (which sounds like much more than you are asking for) stores the list of completed slides in the database and uses coldfusion and javascript to display a button inside the course asking if the user wishes to continue where they left off.  Which sends them to the next unviewed (and INCOMPLETE) slide, not slides simply started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the answer, I tried using the captivate's own function but unfortunately it did not return with the same grade of the quiz in which the student stopped last time, would it be some additional configuration?

Obs. I need it to work even if the student accesses the course through another device or computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate's Self-paced Learning feature only remembers which slide the learner reached before they terminated their session.  It has nothing to do with quiz scores and grades. 

If what you want is for the learner's score to be captured somewhere regardless of the device they use, then you need to be using an LMS of some kind and have Resume Data Bookmarking turned on in the Quiz settings.

However, since you have stated that your content is being delivered from a normal web server you will not be able to use something like Resume Data bookmarking unless you have access to a web-based database and server-side processing.  That's really what an LMS does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rod said, you have to have some sort of system to capture the data from the quiz. You could probably create your own quiz slides that don't use captivate quiz slides and store answers and scores in cookies as the most basic system.

I created our own testing slides because captivate's own question pooling doesn not provide enough functionality.  It retains answers and scores from any device the same user decides to use from one session to another.  It very much depends on your level of coding ability using js and dynamic coding, I'd say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I believe this is the only way to solve my problem.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just one caveat here...

You said earlier that you wanted students to be able to log in from different computers and still resume where they left off.  This does not happen with Captivate's Self-paced Learning Bookmarking because the resume data that identifies the last slide visited is stored in the browser Local Storage area on the computer being used by the learner.  

Only LMS Resume Data will be able to allow students to resume regardless of which device they used to access the content in their previous session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources