Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Attempts: Customized Failure Captions

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all 🙂

I posted this as a reply on a thread that is a few years old, and since I don't know if anyone will see it, I thought I'd start a new thread of it:

I am using Captivate 2019 and I am trying to create custom failure messages on a multiple-attemp slide. I have a sequence quiz slide set to three attempts and I've got the failure messages drop down set to 3. I am trying to customize the messages so that: 

- on the first failed attempt the user sees "Sorry, that's incorrect. Try again. You have two more attempts."

- on the second failed attempt the user sees "Sorry, that's incorrect. Try again. You have one more attempt."

- on the final failed attempt the user sees "Incorrect. the correct answer is _______. Click to continue."

The problem is I click on the failure message drop down and choose 1. I customize the message, then go to the next one and do the same. I save the project and when I come back to the messages, the changes I made are not there. It has happened several times in the last hour and I've even restarted Captivate thinking it was some glitch. 

Is customizing these messages not possible or is there something I'm doing wrong? Please let me know. Any help you can offer would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

I did read the other answer, but it was meant for Rod Ward. I respect your choices.

Is this a non-responsive or a Fluid boxes project? It works for both, but is more tricky for Fluid Boxes.

You need to choose 3 (which is the maximum) number of Failure messages.  Three Failure message boxes will appear on the slide, but it may be difficult to see them because they can be stacked. You will need to uncheck temporarily most other messages, and to some moving. Here is an example screenshot, where I

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did read the other answer, but it was meant for Rod Ward. I respect your choices.

Is this a non-responsive or a Fluid boxes project? It works for both, but is more tricky for Fluid Boxes.

You need to choose 3 (which is the maximum) number of Failure messages.  Three Failure message boxes will appear on the slide, but it may be difficult to see them because they can be stacked. You will need to uncheck temporarily most other messages, and to some moving. Here is an example screenshot, where I took out the Retry and Correct message temporarily and moved the three Failure messages. You need to hover over the message and will see if it is 1, 2 or 3.  Edit the messages as wanted. If you have more than 3 attempts, the third one will also appear at the 4th and later attempts:

MultFailure.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri;

Thanks for your response! No worries...the other post was for Rod only because it was directly connected to something he'd said 😉

This is for a non-responsive project. I'll try shifting them around so I can see all three, but it just seems to me the changes I'm making are not sticking. Again, maybe they are stacked as you say. I'll try it and see what happens. 

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's perfect, Lilybiri - I wasn't seeing them because they were stacked as you suspected. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fine. Is it possible to mark the answer which helped you as being correct? It is meant to help other users looking for a solution to a similar problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done...sorry for missing that. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem. Most people do not see that possibility on the forum. I could have marked it myself but I don't like doing that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources