Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multistate slide with existing Advanced Actions

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

I have a question today about forced navigation. I have searched the forums but I can not find anything that is specific to my situation.

I have built a course where the majority of slides use custom click-to-reveal interactions that are triggered using advanced actions. It has now been requested that learners can only advance after clicking everything.

I have watched a few tutorials of multistate slides, whereby a custom next button appears after clicking all the buttons. However from what I can tell, this relies on having a single object with multiple states to reveal the next button. I believe workflow is not suitable for the slides I have already designed as I typically use advanced actions to show/hide groups where the objects within have no other states (just normal). I could have used states to design these slides, but I do not have time to go back and re-design with an impending deadline. 

One temporary solution I discovered myself was using a transparent shape with multiple states, placing it somewhere on the slide and setting up the multistate based on that object to have the next button appear after all the buttons have been clicked. I found this to be quicker than what I think is known as the traditional method of creating conditional advanced actions with tracking variables - which I find very tedious.

While this solution looks to be working, before I spend hours configuring this on every slide, is there a quicker method of forcing navigation in Captivate? In other software I have used, you could show an object based on the state of another, e.g. if the state of object A, B, C is 'visited' show Next button. 

Or, perhaps it is possible for forced navigation to work using multistate naming on objects with no additional states that only appear by using advanced actions on their corresponding buttons? 

I look forward to a response.

Thanks,

Reuben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is much easier with multistatte objects than with Show/hide. Have posted several blogs comparing them. But if you only want to 'watch' videos, a blog is probably not what you look for.

Havve multiple blogs on forcing only the first view as well. Same restriction, not passive video but embedded Captivate examples.

The principle is the same for multistate objects and show/hide workflows. You need a user variable (which can be reused on multiple slides) for each 'clickable' object. It will be a Boolean: when clicked toggle to 1, unclicked it is 0? In each advanced (would be better Shared) action you have also to check the value of the variables, or (what I prefer because it is better for Shared actions) you increment a counter and check that one. Only when the counter reaches the right number you show the Next button.

Watching examples is possible. Look at my recent blog post, it has several forced views in the example section. This is the link to the published output:

http://www.lilybiri.com/published/ReplayReset/index.html

If you accept to read, here is one of the comparisons for a non-responsive project. It is in the eLearning community:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2018/07/force-clicking-hotspots-comparison-2-workflows/

The counter approach for shared actions:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/tips-and-tricks-advanced-to-shared-action-intermediate

Blog where I provide another approach for forcing only the first view, and the shared action is available if you want:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/force-first-slide-view-micro-navigation

That one explains the workflow and this one has the shared action which can also be used for playing audio only the first time:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-to-shared-action-step-by-step-micro-navigation-showcase

There are a lot more examples to be found on my blog and in the portal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me.

I found the comparison blog interesting. For me, the show/hide solution is just not practical time wise.

I realised that I can use the multistate solution on an object within a group, so no need for this to be a transparent shape that's seperate to my show/hide advanced actions. It's going to be quicker than any of the other suggested solutions. 

Regarding the next button appearing on revisit, I'm avoiding this for now as from the blog posts it looks like it is very manual process. But I will refer to this guidance should I need to implement this.

Thanks,

Reuben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are organised and use shared actions, it is not that much work tto create the First View forced scenario. I have the shared actions to create variables and to use On enter in an external Library. You need to set up the timeline, but that is always the case. The only parameter needed is the time at which the Next button timeline appears.

Maybe you find it hard because you never used Shared actions nor an External Library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources