• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Naval Game

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a lesson with a swf file (we do not have the original files for this swf) that plays a Naval Battle game.
Since we are transitioning to HTML5 we are in process of making changes. In this lesson one player calls out a number and a letter and the opposing player lets him/her know if was a hit or not. As this happens questions are asked and answered (in the screen). For instance, I ask you a question and if you do not answer it correctly, I will shot and you let me know if I hit one of your boats or not. 
I was looking and reading everything I found online about simulations in captivate (mine is  8  and so far I have no idea how should I do this simulation/game.
Has anyone ever done anything similar?
Can anyone give me some ideas on how to get this done?

I appreciate it.
Maggie.

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Editing , Import export , Quizzing and LMS , Virtual reality

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically you are creating the game Stratego?

I'm sure this could be creted. My suggestion would be to first map out your logic, then create all of you advanced actions.

Not sure how your callouts are entered as far as the number and letter, but it shouldn't be too difficult, just a lot of actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking it was Battleship but was struggling with the "two player" aspect of it. Seems like it would have to be a random NPC or something that checks against some set values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, it was battleship.

It would be pretty simple to set up a grip with smartshapes that when clicked, turn transparent and reveal either water or parts of a ship. This could be done with a simple dynamic script that compares what was slicked to a varible to hold the correct answer commas delimited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is thre a tutorial that teaches/shows that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I can't answer your question since I never played "Stratego", I never even seen it.
I don't know how would I map that out. Are there any tutorials on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have several games on my blog, developed essentially with advanced/shared actions. It is not totally clear to me: how do you handle the two-player approach? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the two player question I would take a vu into https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/XMLHttpRequest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do. Thank you.
I don't think I can use this. Consideing the HTML limitations.
I have to transfer all of this to HTML5, if there are limitations, it won't work, since "To discourage the synchronous use of XMLHttpRequest, ...."
Besides, I don't know where in Captivate would I put all of that code.
I do appreciate your input though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri, it is not clear to me either.
We didn't do these. They came to us in a swf.
Here's a very short review of the instructions:
"You'll play 3 rounds. If competing within the class,the group with the most hits wins.
Select a box on the enemy's board (there's a square with 16 boxes) .
If there's no enemy's ship underneath, it's a missfire. Adversary turns to play.
If there's a ship you are required to answer a question.
If correct, you hit your enemy you hit their ship and you may continue by selecting another box.
If incorrect, it's a misshot and the enemy may fire back.
To win, you must hit at least 5 times.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like they play individually, don't know how the results were transferred to find out the winner. This can be created, also for HTML output, but I would not start from the SWF at all, just try to understand the logic and create a project from scratch. Either with advanced/shared actions and/or with JS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you essentially designing a game similar to Stratego? I'm confident this can be accomplished. My recommendation would be to start by outlining your logic and then proceed to create all of your actions

I'm not certain about the process for entering your callouts using numbers and letters, but it shouldn't be overly challenging—just a matter of executing multiple actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources