• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Non Web Safe fonts easy fix

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen several posts re embedding non websafe fonts in Captivate content. If you're using a corporate font or an Adobe CC font (old typekit) in your eLearning then these will most likely be replaced by Times New Roman or some other arbitrary font by the browser when published. In addition Captivate's caption text always seems to be fuzzy in Chrome and possibly Edge the reason for which I have not established and Adobe have not been much help in resolving this issue.

However there is a simple workaround which doesn't seem to be common knowledge and does not need the downloading fonts and editing CSS process others have suggested. All you need to do is create an empty user variable, length of 1 character and add it to the last line of your text in a caption or a smart shape preferably after a carriage return.

Including the variable forces Captivate to convert the caption text to an image, thus rendering the text during publishing and in doing so sorts the fuzzy characters problem as well.

Make sure you test the output in Preview HTML5 in Browser as using Captivates Preview From This Slide will display the text with some sort of wierd formatting if you have bolded any words, and some old versions of Chrome also seem to format differently to how you typed it but its far less work than editing CSS etc. Just make sure you leave room around the text for it to expand a bit as I have seen text cut off if you size the caption or smart shape to tight to the text. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will need to edit your text as a moderator because there are wrong assumptions in it.

You seem to confuse things...Contrary to what you say, inserting a variable will create dynamic text which needs to use websafe fonts or Adobe fonts. Static text (no variable) will be converted to an image if you talk about non-responsive projects. For responsive projects text is always rendered on runtime and you need to use websafe or Adobe fonts.

The workflow you tell was used just for the opposite goal: to take out the fuzziness for non-responsive projects by avoiding the conversion to an image.  That meant that you cannot use system fonts which will be converted to Times New Roman if the system of the learner doesn't have that particular font installed.

Still for a non-responsive project: the only correct Preview method is F11, Preview HTML in Browser. The other preview methods do use a temporary SWF output.

Please fix your text or delete it.   I will not remove it myself (as moderator) immediatley.

http://blog.lilybiri.com/fonts-in-captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources