• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not able to use backward movement with Quiz??

May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have built quiz questions into the presentation. When you get to the first

quiz question and you want to review material before answering quiz question,

Captivate 5 allows you to move backwards; however when I come back to the question to answer it is says:"you did not answer the question completely" and it will not allow you to select an answer.

I checked my preferences and I do have "allow backward movement selected. Just wondering if anyone out there knows what I am doing wrong?

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Though it might at first seem confusing, there is a reason behind this behaviour.  Captivate has what is known as a Quiz Scope that begins with the first scored object and ends at the Quiz Results slide.

If Allow Backward Movement is not selected, once you enter the quiz scope you cannot go to any slide before it.  Allowing backward movement does permit you to leave the quiz scope, but as you have found, it also means that any quiz questions you have already visited will be locked.  If you didn't

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though it might at first seem confusing, there is a reason behind this behaviour.  Captivate has what is known as a Quiz Scope that begins with the first scored object and ends at the Quiz Results slide.

If Allow Backward Movement is not selected, once you enter the quiz scope you cannot go to any slide before it.  Allowing backward movement does permit you to leave the quiz scope, but as you have found, it also means that any quiz questions you have already visited will be locked.  If you didn't give an answer while on the slide, you're question is locked as not having been answered.

The solution to your problem is to extend the quiz scope to encompass all slides containing information that your course participant might want to view.  You can do this by placing a button or clickbox on an earlier slide in your project.  Set it to Report to Quiz with a score.  Now your quiz scope begins with this interactive object, not at the first quiz question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a question about the suggestion offered to expand the scope of the quiz. I am trying to use this solution by making the Start button at the beginning of the tutorial a part of the quiz, but the problem is that when the user clicks Review Quiz, he is sent to the start of the quiz. I'm worried that it will be confusing for the user and he will think he is starting the entire tutorial over and won't know to simply click the forward button on the playbar. Is there any way to make the Start button not show up in the quiz review?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I would do:

• Make sure you have at least one (possibly very short Title) slide BEFORE your opening slide. This helps to make everything below work better because the movie will have initialised everything it needs before it gets to slides with variables and Advanced Actions.
  • Relable the Start button as View Content or something like that to communicate that clicking this button will allow you to view the course material.  This is better than Start.
  • Put another button on the opening slide labelled as Go to Quiz and set the action to jump to the first quiz slide.  Set this button's visibility to OFF so that the only option first time users will see on the opening slide is to View Content.
  • Create a variable to track whether users have reached the Quiz Results slide (let's call it v_QuizDone) and set it's value to 0.
  • Add a blank slide of only half second duration between the last quiz question and the Quiz Results slide. Set the OnSlideEnter action to Assign v_QuizDone to 1.  It should then Continue to the Quiz Results slide.  Since this slide is so short, users won't notice it.
  • Create an Advanced Conditional Action that checks the value of v_QuizDone, and if that value is 1, will Show the Go to Quiz button that is normally not visible.  Assign this Advanced Action to the OnSlideEnter action of the opening slide. 

So what happens here is that the first time your users see the opening slide they only see the button to View Content.  But once they get to the Quiz Results slide and click the Retake Quiz button they are jumped back to the opening slide (because the View Content button is scored and therefore part of the quiz) but now they have the extra option of jumping straight to the first quiz question.

I should mention that having the Go to Quiz option visible by default on opening slides would be a lot simpler and easier (because it obviates the need for variables and AAs).  It also gives learners that already know the content, or that have done the module previously, the opportunity to skip straight to the quiz.  But if you wanted to force users to view content before doing the quiz, the above solution is one way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RodWard, that worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2011 Aug 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod - I hope you do not mind me replying to your last post again. I took your suggestion and it works wonderful. My question is now, is there a way to make it not 'count' that first slide in the quiz numbers? Meaning when I publish the file and our users get to the quiz portion that has 15 questions, they are actually starting with question 2 instead of 1 because Captivate is counting that first slide as 1 even though technically it is not a quiz question.

Michele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 19, 2011 Sep 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I ever got a response to this question I posted and I am encountering the same issue again.

My question is now, is there a way to make it not 'count' that first slide in the quiz numbers? Meaning when I publish the file and our users get to the quiz portion that has 15 questions, they are actually starting with question 2 instead of 1 because Captivate is counting that first slide as 1 even though technically it is not a quiz question.

Michele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2011 Sep 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double posting, answered in the other thread,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish I knew where that thread was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is from 2011. Please start a new thread, mentioning your problem. It is very improbable that the answer would be the same after so many versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources