• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

On 'Go to next slide' screen flashes white and resets slide instead.

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the fifth slide of my project I have seven buttons to press before the 'next button appears. The first timne I hit the next button; the screen flashes white and the slide refreshes. If I try clicking the buttons a second time; I get to the fifth or sixth button and the screen flashes white and the slide resets again.

I've tried previewing the project from after this slide, in which case it gets even stranger: It will let me view no more than two slides before the next button simply doesn't do anything.

The only clue I have is may variable for number of total slides which should be a static variable (cpInfoSlideCount - 3) set on the first slide. It should equal 17, however when I preview from slide 6 it seems to be reading the current slide number instead (it increases by 1 on the next two slides).

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm completely lost.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lot of lacking details in this question. Which version (full number under Help, About Captivate)? Is it a responsive or a non-responsive project?  For a non-responsive project aimed for HTML5 output the only usable Preview method is 'Preview HTML in Browser' (F11).

You probably have a logical bug in the advanced action, which is not shown. Please post a screenshot of the used actions (Preview window). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Ok, so I'm using Captivate 2019 release 11.5.1.499

Its a responsive project

The only action on the next button itself is the standard 'Go to the next slide'.

This is the code for one of the buttons on the slide itself. All the other buttons are the same (literally duplicates) just adding a different poiece of information to the same variable.

S5_actions.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way you currently have these Conditional decisions set up is not the best approach.  You're trying to get one variable to track multiple things.  I would suggest you need to create a different variable for each separate thing that needs tracking.  That will give you more accuracy and reliability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to get it to work like an Array; there's no point tracking any of these things other than to check whether the learner has completed all the required actions. Is there a better way of doing that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too hard with tiny screenshots. Why not use the Preview button which shows all decisions at once. My eyes are too bad,.... no way to read. Will leave you to Rod. 

If I understand what you want, maybe this blog post could help?

https://elearning.adobe.com/2018/07/force-clicking-hotspots-comparison-2-workflows/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, I must not be understanding what you mean. How do I use the preview button? I see the standard options such 'Live preview on devices' and so on but I don't know how to get it show 'all decisions at once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This button:

PreviewButton.PNG

Maybe read and discover more about Advanced actions dialog box:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-actions-dialog-box-in-captivate-2017

That button already existed before CP2017 but only for conditional actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mikea48696167_0-1586179141892.png

Thanks for the advice. Is this what you were asking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate's Conditional Actions can get quite complex but they are nonetheless also much more limited than programming languages like JavaScript would allow.  For one thing, they don't have the ability to create a true array. 

If you know how to do JavaScript and create proper arrays then by all means do so.  But for tracking so few items, working out how to get an array to work in code is probably overkill.  You could have it working in minutes doing it the way I suggested.  Just create a separate variable to track each item and then you can also debug more easily as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, if you don't have anything setup to debug your code, you're basically blind as to what is causing the problem. You should set up text boxes that will display the values of your variables somewhere on the slide.

I can't tell exactly what you're doing, in terms of what the learner has to accomplish to successfully complete a task, but, maybe something like this will work:

• Declare a counter variable that will be incremented by 1 every time a user successfully completes a task (i.e. var_S5_TasksCompleted = 0).
  • Then declare a var to establish the total number of tasks the user needs to successfully complete (i.e. var_S5_TotalTasks = n)

Advanced action:

• Every time a button is clicked/task is successfully completed, increment var_S5_TasksCompleted by 1 (make sure you disable the [button] or whatever interaction performed after a successful attempt so you prevent the counter var from being incremented more than once per task)
  • then have a conditional check if var_S5_TasksCompleted == var_S5_TotalTasks.
  • If true, show the Next button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources