• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overlay slide in interactive video not returning user variable to system Captivate 2019

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have an interactive video, and on the overlay slide, I have a text input box. I tested to see if the variable was in the system, and indeed, the variable is being populated by the user on the overlay slide. But when the user clicks back to the bookmark on the interactive video slide, the variable is empty. 

And what's even odder . . . in publish preview to html5, everything works. But when published, the variable is indeed empty on return to the bookmarked slide.

The variable, once populated w/ user input shouldn't change, should it? Once it's in the system, it doesn't revert to being empty, does it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using more technical jargon, my user variable entered in the interactive slide overlay doesn't appear in the slide with the interactive video.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the content works when you Preview to HTML5, but not after you publish, my feeling is that the functionality you require is only going to be functional when the content is launched in a web server environment.  

Preview to HTML5 does create a temporary web server.  You can see that from the localhost in the browser address bar when you  are previewing.

localhostPreview.png

But if you publish to HTML5 and then launch the same content from your hard drive, that doesn't give you any web server.

So, my suggestion is, upload your published content to either a web server or LMS and then test it from there.  You may find that it is working just fine, just as it does when previewing in HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just odd. I set up four objects to return the user variable from the overlay slide. Only 1 box on the interactive video slide returns the variable.

This is from the local host, preview:

Zoey2005_0-1617327503106.png

This is from the live server:

Zoey2005_1-1617327542879.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to clear something up. You used the term "bookmarked slide" earlier.  What kind of bookmarking are you referring to?

Are you talking about the user closing down the module and then reopening it later, expecting to see the variable saved in bookmarking data somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's using interactive video. Midway through the video, at a designated point, the video pauses and the overlay slide appears. Then the user clicks on a button, and the overlay closes and the video resumes at the bookmark.

Ok, now I wonder if this is a browser issue. Here is my experiment in Chrome/Safari, only one object returns the variable:

Zoey2005_0-1617342525655.png

But in Edge/Firefox it works, all 4 objects display the user variable:

Zoey2005_2-1617342806406.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting question but I couldn't find time yesterday to check this out. Is my understanding correct (will double-check in one of my interactive videos):

• You populate user variables using Text Entry Boxes on an overlay content slide.
  • You want to use the variable in another overlay content slide, which appears later than the first slide.
  • This works in Edge and FF, but not in Chrome (I am not a Safari user).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for checking this out. 

• The text entry box is on the overlay content slide (48 46)
  • I want to return the variable on the interactive video slide (47 46)

Zoey2005_0-1617375302741.png

Some history . . . 

1. I was reviewing the course, published to a live server, in Chrome

2. I was puzzled why my variable wasn't showing up on slide 47 46

3. So I experimented, and then noticed that it would show up on 47 46 if the object displaying the variable was placed on the left hand side of the stage. It wouldn't display if placed on the right hand side of the of the stage. Very weird.

4. So then I decided to place 4 objects on slide 47 46 to see just where the variable would display on the stage

5. And so, in Chrome/Safari, it just shows up in one object, and on the left hand side

6. But FF/Edge, it displays the variable in all 4 objects

Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources