Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Play/Pause Slide with Triggered Audios on layers

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I want to play/pause a slide by the use of custom icons and triggers and this was possible, but then this can't work with slides that have layers on them. The project I am working on didn't have the play and pause buttons so they weren't developed with this in mind. On the slides with layers (3 or more), the Play/Pause and Mute/Unmute buttons are not working and I think JS would be the ones to use. Can anyone suggest solutions to this?

Buttons used: Play-Mute Buttons.png

When you click the pause button it pauses the slide and shows the play button and vice versa. When you click the volume button it mutes the audio and shows the muted icon and vice versa.

I appreciate your support.

Best Regards,

Elyse                 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are working on a Captivate project and not an Articulate Storyline project?

Captivate doesn't really have layers like Storyline, where the layers can have their own timeline.

In a Captivate project each slide has one main timeline that can be paused or played via the default playbar, or by using custom buttons and Advanced Actions.  But the only other elements that you can put on a Captivate slide that might have their own timelines are Event Videos and HTML5 Animations (e.g. OAM files from Adobe Animate).

Can you please explain more about your project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RodWard,

Yes, it is a captivate project, but I am not the original developer. The course is interactive, it has multiple screenshots on one slide and uses buttons to move from one screenshot to another. So each image (considered to be a layer) has triggered audio in advanced actions of the slide and you might find that there are two to three audios in the action script.

I am not sure if you get well what I meant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer and mine just crossed somewhere and landed at the same moment.

From your last answer it seems that the problem is to understand the workflow of the previous developer. I already asked some question in my answer, please try to answer them.

Is it possible to insert some screenshots from the setup of a slide (including Timeline panel) and of the used advanced (or shared) actions? Actionscript is no longer possible, since output will be exclusively HTML5. I suspect the commands 'Play Audio' will be in the advanced a ctions, and audio started by that command cannot be stopped except by the command 'Stop Triggered Audio' or by using 'Play Audio' with another targeted clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terminology is always a problem, in this case the terms 'layers' and 'triggers'.

The Timeline panel of Captivate doubles as layer panel IMO because it allows you to change the stacking order, and can also be used to manipulate individual object timelines. However, I completely agree with Rod that it is not the same as in SL. My suspicion is more raised by 'triggers' because that is a typical SL term, which I seldom use in Captivate as a noun, only as a verb.

If you are indeed on Captivate, allow me to ask some questions about your custom buttons:

• Where are those buttons? Are they on the main master slide (not possible for Fluid Boxes projects) or other master slides? Or do you have them on the first slide timed for the rest of the project? Or (hope not) do you have individual buttons on each slide?
  • The mute/unmute button can be very simple as explained in one of my blog posts:
    Multiple Toggle buttons with ONE Shared Action - eLearning (adobe.com)
  • Play/Pause button is more complicated. Here is a link to an interactive video explaining a possible workflow:
    Custom Play/Pause button
    But you need to be very careful if interactive objects are pausing the timeline. I have of course no idea how the full course has been set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my wrong terminologies, I am not an expert in Adobe captivate 🙂

• The buttons are on the first slide timed for the rest of the project and they work on only slides thahaveas one image and one audio.

I have attached two screenshots that you asked for, and how the pauseon and pauseoff actions are triggered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing is sure: first developer was not a Captivate expert at all. It is rather difficult to see the whole picture but here are some incongruities/bugs I see so far. They have nothing to do with having multiple images on a slide:

• The Play/Pause actions do not check the active value of the system variable cpCmndPause. You have two different SVGs, probably set as buttons, not a real toggle button but nevertheless checking the preset status of the playhead is necessary since the buttons are used as timed for the rest of the project. You should also check Advanced Interaction panel (F9) to see if there is a reset of those buttons done with the On Enter event of the slides.
  • Do those SVGs used as buttons have a pausing point or not? Please check the Timing Properties panel on the first slide where those buttons appear.
  • Slide timelines are not complete in your screenshots, but I see some do have interactive objects with pausing points but at random frames, not sure why and which action they do trigger. Because that is one of the reasons the status of the playhead (cpCmndPause or cpCmndResume) needs to be checked since those buttons will pause the slide timeline (not the audio triggered by Play Audio).
  • The sequence of commands: Play Audio, Stop Triggered Audio, Play Audio is (sorry for the word) ridiculous because only the third commands will be done.

My apologies, but it looks like you have multiple issues in this project. Do you also have problems with the Mute/Unmute buttons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any problem with the Mute/Unmute buttons, I only have problems setting those Play/Pause buttons. The SVGs don't have a pausing point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is already fine. This means other interactive objects are pausing slides, and I have seen some pausing points in the screenshots.

Can you answer all the questions, please? I suspected that Mute/Unmute was not the problem but Play/Pause is a lot more tricky. At least a conditional action is needed, so that the correct SVG button appears. The On Enter action of a slide could do at least a reset of the buttons, but you also have to cope with possible pausing by the interactive objects on all the slides. That is the reason why the system variables which I mentioned are so important, and I don't see any of them being used.

Can you explain why you concluded that the problem is due to multiple layers on the timeline? Do you have a screenshot of a slide where the Play/Pause works fine because of less layers? I wished I could ask if those are slides without green timelines, but since you used SVGs as buttons, although they are interactive and should have a green timeline they don't (bug in the UI which I reported multiple times). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is one example of where the buttons function well. It also works on the opening screens and other slides that have one image and one audio to it. I'm sorry if there are some queries I am not responding to as you want them to be, I am not experienced in captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you expect me to help in that case?  That slide has two interactive objects (shape buttons), with a 0.1second difference in pausing points. Why? There is slide audio (first time I see an almost complete timeline vertically). What is expected with that advanced action? Why is it using twice Play Audio, since all actions will be done in sequence without any delay, the first audio clip will never play, Stop Triggered Audio is not needed, second audio clip will play but the other two audio actions make no sense. You talk about 'one audio', but if that action is related to this slide, I see mentions of THREE audio clips: the slide audio (narration), W9... and objective.  I see one image, but there was only one image in the previous screenshots as well. Do you have multistate images? 

Know that I am just a user like you, not working for Adobe, not paid by Adobe. Understand that solving your problem seems to lead to a very long thread but is doomed to be unsuccessful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will recreate the buttons and configure them as per your guidance at Custom Play/Pausebutton

to see if it will work as expected. Thanks for all the time you took in answering my looong query😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am not sure recreating the buttons will solve the problem, which seems to be caused by the conflict between interactive objects on the slides and the Play/Pause button. The one I created in the interactive video was supposed to be used without any other interactive objects on slides. 

Wished I understood what you mean by multiple images which I never saw on the timeline screenshots. That was the reason for my question about multistate images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources