• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible to have advanced action tracking playback of Vimeo video to hide next button?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Captivate Community

I am hoping there would be a way of setting up an advanced action incorporating a Vimeo video playing through a web element, with the aim to hide the net button until the viewer has watched the video.

I have twelve SCORMs with different lengths of videos, and my current "dummy" solution is to hide the button for the amount of seconds (minutes) I know the video is long, then to make the button fade in on the timeline after that time.

Is there any way of tracking when the user clicks the web element (to click play in the vimeo playbar), and then to add an amount of time to hide the button with an action?

Might it even be possible to track when the video has finished playing? 
I am guessing that would mean I can use one generic action for each video, no matter the length.

Or is my only solution to use the timeline length?
Insights appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't get any answer so far. This mostly means that people are confused, not really understanding the question.

What do you mean by 'video playing through a web element'? The normal workflow in Captivate for video is to insert them as Event video, which means they'll be embedded but play independently from CP's Timeline, or to insert them as Slide video, which could be streamed from YT or Vimeo and play more or less synchronized with CP's Timeline. You can indeed insert a Next button with its timeline starting near the end of the video if you need to 'force' the learner (something which I hate certainly when dealing with adult learners). This means you need an instance of the Next button on the slide itself. Another approach could be to delete the appearance of the Next button for the duration of the Video using the Delay Next Actions... in an advanced or shared action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, and thank you for the reply.

I am a bit behind the times, because as I recall the last time I looked at slide videos, there wasn't a Vimeo option, only YT. That is why we followed the web element option, where we added the web element and then used Vimeo's embed code to pull the video through and play it, without having to embed the video directly into the SCORM (increasing file size and usage on the LMS).

The videos will be hosted on a platform the client's (but is temporarily hosted on our Vimeo account).

The client has requested the next button to be hidden/removed - they want to force their employees to watch the videos.

Also thank you for the reminder about the 'delay' action.

In the meantime, the client has asked for no next button, but an auto play of the video and then an advancing to the next slide (a title slide for questions to follow). So will just need to check how I will be doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it is slide video, that will be the default behavior, did you check? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources