• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview does not work

New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the preview in captivate does not work. I can only preview the next five slides. When I publish it I can also not review it. It simply doesnt stop loading. 

Do you have an idea what the problem is?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To help you figure out the problems, I need some more details.

Which exact version number do you use? You find tihe full version number under Help, About Captivate.

If you are working on a non-responsive (Blank) project, you need to know that the only Preview method which is showing a temporary HTML5 output is F11, Preview HTML in Browser. The other preview methods use a temporary SWF output and due to the death of Flash Player that is now obsolete. You will not have that problem if you are working with a responsive project.

Did you check the HTML tracker under the Project menu? Maybe you have incompatible objects in your course?

Is the server to which you upload the published HTML output folder supporting JSON? Or do you upload to a LMS?

How big is the output folder? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Captivate 2019 11.5.5.553 and I am working on a responsive project. 

I checked the HTML tracker and kicked out the one slide which was not compatible. However, it still doesn't load. 

How can I check whether my output folder supports JSON?

My file has a size of 68MB.

Thank you so much for your support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going into your Windows Settings and change your default app for web browsing to something else.  E.g. if it is currently set to be Windows IE.  change it to Chrome.  If it is Chrome, change it to MS Edge.  Reboot Captivate and try again.

When I am having difficulties getting the HTML5 preview to work that is what I do and it almost always works.  

Does it work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I tried it but unfortunately it still doesn't work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the output folder, but the webserver or LMS. Rod explained

For a responsive project 68MB is pretty big. It is also astonishing that you managed to have a non-compatible slide in such a project??  Are you using Fluid Boxes? Did you set them up correctly? Which browser did you use for the Preview, hope it is not IE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to decrease the size of the project already by deleting the unused images. Too be honest, I am a bit lost. This is the first time I am working with captivate. 

Yes, I am using fluid boxes. Whether I set them up correctly, I am not sure but if I preview them (only next five slides preview works) it looks fine. Chrome is my standrad browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not astonished that you are lost. Fluid Boxes are not as easy to use as the marketing people proclaim. For any newbie I always recommend to start with non-responsive projects, and tackle fluid boxes only after having mastered the basics of Captivate in non-responsive projects. With my 10 years of Captivate experience, it even took me a couple of months to get my head around Fluid Boxes and find the proper workflow.

Chrome should be fine, it is IE which causes issues because it is outdated on JavaScript support.

I am still confused because you state that you can only use Preview Next 5 slides, which is not at all normal. Can you please clean the Preferences? Find the subfolder 'utils' under the installation folder and run CleanPreferencesWin.bat while Captivate is closed.

Are the paths under Edit, Preferences pointing to folders on your system, not on networked drives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok my next suggestion would be to try opening a new blank NON-responsive project and then test whether you can Preview as HTML5 on that project.  If you can, use the File menu option to change the format of this blank project into a responsive project and see whether you can still preview as HTML5 then.

Sometimes resetting the Captivate preferences will sort out problems like this, but if that does not work, the quickest fix may be to reinstall Captivate again, making sure to reset the Preferences again as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a similar situation, the preview didn't stop loading.
This after the course was exported (XML), tranlated and imported again.
A specific character (÷) in the subtitles (captions) was converted into \'d7. After converting it baxk, the preview function was working correctly.

Everytime you export this character into XML, it will be converted into \'d7  !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources