Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project with selectable quiz or no quiz

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gentlefolk,

I am creating a training project with a goal of having the content viewable with a quiz for those users who need credit for the course, and the same content viewable without a quiz for those who don't need credit. The user would self-select to take the quiz or not take the quiz and see only the content.

Playing with cpQuizInfoAttempts will be useful for those who want to take the quiz again upon first-attempt failure.

But I don't know the system variable that would control the ability to turn off the reporting function. I assume there is one.... can a project default to report to the LMS but have a variable that will turn OFF that function for those who just want to take the test? I don't want people who opt to just view the content be dinged in the LMS record for a failure in training  because the user never intended to answer  questions.

The workflow would be:

Intro

User selects: Quiz and record or no quiz and content only

Quiz path - content displays and quiz displays and records

Content only - no quiz displays, no success or failure is recorded in the LMS but there is a record of having viewed the course.

Is the best way to handle this by setting up a branch? Or can a series of advanced actions take care of this quiz/content only option?

Many thanks!

Don

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not find a system variable which will take on/off reporting. It is a better idea to solve this with LMS features. How this needs to be done depends on the LMS.  Create two versions of the project, and link the correct version to the user's gradebook (another name is possible) depending on their status when they log in.

You could set up a choice in the project, but that will give control to the learner: those who need the credit could choose to skip the quiz and vice versa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<<You could set up a choice in the project, but that will give control to the learner: those who need the credit could choose to skip the quiz and vice versa>>

I am developing this structure as we are discussing it. so please forgive the fractured logic at times.

Ideally, my course, "Underwater Basketweaving" would have reporting on two levels:

- Attended, complete, incomplete - course for the Underwater Basketweaving curious

- Scored pass/fail - course for the Underwater Basketweaving professionals

It appears that I can't meet these goals in one course but would need to develop two courses:

- Underwater Basketweaving Introduction (non-professional, completion status tracked)

- Underwater Basketweaving for Professonals (scored)

I am asking too much for these two options to be available in one course: "Underwater Basketweaving". Correct?

I guess there is virtue in simpicity.

Thx!

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is best controlled by the LMS, not within the course module.  SCORM Reporting is either ON or OFF when you publish the module from Captivate and there is no system variable to turn off reporting.  The module is published with a lot of extra files to accommodate the LMS reporting when it is turned on.

Check with your LMS Administrator to see whether there is an option or setting that allows the learner to choose whether or not they are launching the module for credit or just to review the content.  Some LMSs have this feature, but not all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod.

I _am_ an LMS administrator for our Taleo LearnCenter system. It has its limitations in some areas. Any intellegence has to come from the project development app, not toggle anything inherent in LearnCenter. The LearnCenter just takes what it is told to take and record what it is told to record. 

I was kinda hoping that Captivate would allow for come clever legerdemain here, but that would be asking a lot of it.

Thanks so much!

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes each LMS is different in what it can or cannot do.

I suggested asking the LMS Administrator of your LMS because they will usually be more aware of features that can be leveraged to achieve a particular learning requirement.

Some LMSs, Moodle for example, provide learners with the option of deciding whether or not they want to launch a module for credit of just to view the content.  If your LMS doesn't have this feature, there's really nothing that Captivate can do to override the limitations of the LMS.  As you said, the LMS just records whatever the SCORM module send it.

We have some very clever JavaScript programmers that chime in on this forum from time to time.  Perhaps one of them might have a trick or hack that would solve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Rod. Yeah, Taleo LearnCenter doesn't have the option to offer credit / no credit, so I won't worry about it. Certainly not to the extent of hacking JS for this issue. LearnCenter is flaky enough as it is without asking it to do any thinking.

The idea is elegant... but then that is what I get for thinking. I need to work on that....

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources