• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish Fail - Can't Find Reason

Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Forum!

I have a short Captivate file I have recently edited.  I'm now ready to publish it, but I keep getting a "Publish Failed" error message.  It comes up immediately upon trying to publish.

I have done a number of things suggested in this forum that do not seem to be helping:

• I'm using a local copy of the Captivate File.
  • I have tried turning off compression settings.
  • I have closed and restarted Captivate.
  • I have cleared the cache.
  • I have copied the slides into a new, blank Captivate file (and even that one won't publish)

I was hoping to get these files out to users next week.  Does anyone have any further suggestions?  I'd be happy to send you the file for review.

Many thanks!

Jennifer.Wadsworth@iowacourts.gov

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have already tried a lot of actions, but did not see those:

• Are you running Captivate with administrator rights?
  • And did you try to delete the Preferences folder (while Captivate is closed) in case it has become corrupt?

I didn't see which version you are using, so just an example of that famous 'Preferences folder' for 5.5: it is labeled Captivate 5.5 - do not look for 'Preferences' and can be found here:

Windows Vista and Windows 7: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 5.5 folder
           Windows XP:  C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 5.5 folder
           Mac:  /Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Captivate 5.5 folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds very much like you might have some object on one of the slides that is tripping up the publish action.

Try hiding groups of slides in your project and then test publishing each time unitl you isolate the slide or slides that is causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Lilybiri, RodWard, and Avinash!

I am using Captivate 5.5.  Sorry for not saying.  I am trying to publish to a .swf file, though .html file is checked as well.  And I am NOT having any trouble on the preview.

I tried both Lily and Rod's suggestions, but end up with the same result.  I hid each slide one by one (there are only 11), but I got a Publish Failed on each of them.  Any other ideas?  With 11 slides, I think it might just be good to start over, huh?

Jen W

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume you've been able to publish previous to this?

Before starting over, you might try opening a new, blank project, then copying your slides to that project.

You could try copying them one at a time and see if you can isolate the problem, or en mass and see what happens.

Right click the slides (or click/shift-click to select all/range) in the filmstrip, copy, go to the new project, and paste into the filmstrip.  Publish, see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Andy!

Yeah, that's the crazy part -- I've published this file before.  It just has a few tweaks and updates, but now it won't publish.    And I publised different files after getting stuck on this one.

I did copy the slides en masse to a blank file, and it still wouldn't publish.  I didn't try them one by one, though.  Maybe that would help isolate the problem?  I appreciate the suggestion!

Jen W

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jennifer,

How about the location you are publishin to? Any issue with HD space? How about changing the publish drive/folder?

Can you publish another project without issue? To that same location?

What's the error message specifically say - any hints there?

How about embedded files? Any external resources CP may not be able to find on publish?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jennifer,

Could you share your project with us ?

Thanks,

Avinash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, everyone, for being willing to help out!  I've discovered the problem, and after much blushing and saying of bad words, here it is.

The Project Title (as shown on the Publish screen) had a punctuation mark in it.  I had tried the titles "What is iLearn?" and "Using iLearn: What is iLearn."  When a coworker suggested taking out the question mark, I thought that was going to be the fix.  But replacing it with a colon wasn't the way to go.  When I finally took out the colon as well, it worked fine.

The only message I received was "Publish Failed."  It happened immediately after I pressed the Publish button, so the computer wasn't even trying to do anything with the file.  And it previewed just fine.  So, hopefully this will help someone else who runs across the problem.

Again, thank you to all of you!

Jen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the resolution!

Are you using Captivate on a Mac?

Do Macs still use colons as drive/folder separators?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ugh.  tough lesson to learn.  Thanks for the follow up, tho.  Good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also experience the same problem, I'm using Adobe Captivate 2017.  I can't identify what is the root cause why I can't publish/preview my project. Please help me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oliver.  This is a very old thread that dates back over 7 years.  Please log a new issue in the forums for your problem.  Then you are more likely to get help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you post this in the eLearning community as well? I just answered a similar question in that location.

I could branch your question to a new thread if you want me to do so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

I'm having this same issue and i"m using Captivate 5.  I'm in Administrator mode and everytime I publish to a swf if fails.  I was able to publish the file before, but now can't so I'm guessing something in the changes I made is causing thsi problem.  But I was going to try your solution here and I do not have that folder, should I be concerned?  Here's my screenshot of that path...

captivate 5 screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the folder, since it is a system folder,  is invisible. Be sure to check Folder options (under Tools in Explore), and in the view tab, make Hidden files and folders visible.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jennifer,

Are you publishing as swf or as HTML5 ? Also are you receiving error on preview ? (F4, F8 , F10) and is this happening for a particular project or for every project ?

Regards,

Avinash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources