Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Published HTML will not fully show first slide

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,
I am working in Captivate 2019 on a small project with ten slides; six are just text and shapes for instructions, two are click and reveal using simple show actions (except for an execute shared action on the reset buttons to hide all), one is a click and reveal using multistate, and one is drop and drag. The simple click and reveal slides use either buttons or shapes as buttons for the show actions, the multistate uses jpgs, and all the interactive slide have a png file. All the slides have buttons for next and previous, except first has enter activity (still basically next slide) and last has exit button. There is no java script (I do not know how to do that) and no special coding. The first slide is set at no action for enter and exit as I want them to use the enter button to advance to the next slide
Problem/question: When I publish to html (not swf) and extract the zip on my computer (with windows 10), I can only view the index.html file on Firefox and Explorer. When I open it in Edge, Chrome, or Brave, I get the play icon, then the four squares of loading (and it takes a few seconds) and then either nothing (blank/white screen) or just the shape (no text or buttons) on the first slide. However, if I mouse over the area where the enter button “should be”, I can click on it and advance to the second slide which is visible. Once I get to the second slide, advancing forward works fine and I can perform the interactions. If I use the previous button on the second slide to go back to the first slide, I get the loading gif again and then the slide is still blank (or just the shape shows). I just cannot seem to get the first slide to show.
Bigger problem/question: The goal for the project is to upload the zip and extract it into our LMS (Canvas) for my students to practice terminology. There is no scoring so I'm not enabling e-learning output (no SCORM). When I extract in the LMS and link the index.html file to a module, I can get it to play in Firefox and Explorer. However, in Edge, Chrome, and Brave, all I get is a blank page (not even the play icon) and no mouse over where the enter button should be. Even if I try to open the html directly in the files of the LMS, I get nothing. I have no way to access any of the slides. And I am afraid the only reason the other two work is because they are older versions.
If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, I would greatly appreciate some feedback. My classes are about to begin and I have nothing (unless I require them to use Firefox).

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you insert a screenshot of the timeline of the first slide please?The 'No Action' command is the default command for On Enter and On Exit, but you seem not to know that it has exactly the same result as 'Continue'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CaptivateScreen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which font did you use for the Title. Is that an Adobe font? It is certainly not a font from the Websafe category.

Forgot to ask: is this a non-responsive project? If yes, how does it look whan you Preview with F11, Preveiw HTML in Browser?

For the LMS question: some LMSs only accept SCO's. That means that you need to set up Reporting. You can do that even if you don't have a quiz. Completion criteria can be set up based on slide views as well.  The published folder will automatically be zipped as required for a SCO.

To verify you are on the most recent version of either 11.0 or 11.5 (both released under CP2019), can you cehck the full version number under Help, About Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font is called Ink Free and it is a system font but it does work fine on all the other pages that are visible (slides 2-10). I went ahead and changed all of that font to Arial (web safe) just now and it did not resolve the issue. 

This is a non-responsive project

It works absolutely fine when I preview with F11, my default was Edge so I changed it to Chrome and F11 worked fine there to. It is just the published htmls that have the issue.

I am using version 11.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just trying to limit the possibilities. It is working fine with F11 ad you are on the most recent Win version of Captivate.

How did you test the published HTML output?  Locally? Is that working? Best way is to upload to a webserver, but your LMS may not support simple packages as I wrote before. If it is a SCO, did you try on SCORM Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am publishing it locally (on my computer) which I feel may be the problem. I will be contacting our webmaster to check if I can host on our webserver. 

I just tried it on SCORM Cloud and it works fine. I will contact the administrator for our LMS, that may also be where the problem is. It may be that our LMS is not supporting it as you mentioned.

I will post an update once I have heard back from andministration.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Due to difference in our time zones (I am in Belgium), this has taken a long time. At this moment, since it works OK in SCORM Cloud, we know that the problem is not to be found in Captivate, but with the LMS. Try it first on a webserver,  if that is OK, talk with the LMS people.

Success!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources