• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing Responsive Project for Website Which is Scalable

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a responsive project which I published using the 'Publish to Devices' option and then a collegue put it on our website. However, my boss is saying she wants it bigger on the screen? how do I achieve this? I can't find the option for 'Scalable HTML content'. 

The 'Original project size' is 1024 x 627

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Responsive projects don't give you the option to use Scalable HTML when publishing.  That checkbox is only present on normal non-responsive projects.

What you are discovering is that responsive projects are mainly intended for viewing on mobile devices.  If your target audience is mainly viewing content on desktop computers, you would be better off building your project as non-responsive because then you can use a larger stage size.  Sometimes the only way to adequately cover both mobile and desktop viewport sizes is to create two projects, one responsive and one normal non-responsive.

Are you certain that there are sufficient numbers of people in your target audience that cannot view the content EXCEPT on their mobile phones?  That would b the only reason (in my view) to have a responsive project at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, thanks for the info. Just to give some more detail... I made a training webinar where viewers can click on the information that relates to them through the use of buttons. I've completed a few interactive training webinars myself but didn't know what they were made on? Captivate and Camtasia were the only things I could find really.

Our viewers will most likely use laptops to watch the training. My main wish was to have interactive training so people didnt get too bored. I'm not bothered about having training that can be accessed on a phone. Any guidance with this scenario much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a comparison between the two possible workflows for responsive projects, and the scalable non-responsive. In your case I definitely would prefer the last option:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/fluid-boxes-or-breakpoint-views

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Lieve. Non-responsive projects make much more sense in your use case.

The problem you have now is that there is no easy way to just save your content into non-responsive format.  Captivate allows you to take a non-responsive course and save as responsive.  This is a one way trip because there is no option to save responsive to non-responsive.

Having worked in e-learning for nearly two decades now, including all the years since responsive projects became possible, I can tell you that I have only seen a handful of cases where it made sense to create a responsive project at all.  And those projects were situations where ALL of the users would be consuming the content using a mobile phone.

When responsive projects came in there was a lot of misinformation being published by companies that wanted to tout their authoring tools as being "cutting edge" because they had responsive authoring as an option.  (Adobe was one of these companies.)  However, the unfortunate result of this marketing approach was that many people mistakenly believed responsive would always be the superior option.  It is NOT, unless you are specifically building for an audience that is going to ONLY use handheld devices in portrait mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Confirming your statement, Rod. I only had one client insisting on using a responsive project because the output would be used almost exclusively on smartphones. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod is correct, creating a fluid boxes project is only a good idea if the majority of your learners will access the course with a mobile device and want to be able to use both portrait and landscape view. Using Position Properties, which is possible since version 11.5 can improve the experience, but still you are limited to the original project size, which you may choose to increase (with all its consequences about file size of course).

The biggest drawback for a Scalable non-responsive project is that it should be used in landscape mode. All published outputs in my blog are using Scalable non-responsive projects which makes the experience agreeable on all desktop systems, but it is possible to watch them on a mobile device as well, preferably in Landscape mode. Try one out:

https://www.lilybiri.com/published/tarot/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources