• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quiz captions and change state of images

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the set up.  For a quiz questions, the learners have to answer the multiple choice question based on what they see in an image.  Once the right answer is selected, the image changes so they can see the correct version of the image.  

My first attempt had an indication to show the correct caption, change the state of the image on success and uncheck the "Continue playing the project" box.  But then the project would just be stuck on that page with no way to advance (because I removed the forward and backward buttons from the skin).  I then clicked the "Continue playing the project" box, but it advanced too quickly, not giving the user enough time to review the correct image.  

Fine.  So I wrote an advanced action script that on success changed the state of the image and showed a "Next" button pausing the project until clicked.  Worked exactly how I wanted it to.  

I then did the EXACT same thing for a hotspot question, except this time, inexplicable, the "Next" button will not work.  It's a dead button.  

Is the nature of hotspot questions or did I do something wrong setting up the advanced actions?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I never have liked the default hotspot question, and you bumped only on one of the reasons. Your next button will be interpreted as a wrong hotspot. Did you limit clicking functionality to the hotspots themselves?

hotspotClicks.PNG

I always create a hotspot question as a custom question using custom hotspots (mostly shape buttons) because it also allows partial scoring which is not possible with the default hotspot question.

It is rather difficult to understand a question when it is only text. I would have loved to see a mockup of the question slide and the timeline, as well as a Preview window of the advanced action. Just a tip: prefer to use a shared action since you may need this action multiple times, maybe even in other projects. It would save time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just saw that check box and still no response.  Here are screen shots of the question and the Advanced actions box:

slide screen shot.png

marsi1982_1-1666211337867.png

But having played around with it more, you are correct - the hotspot slide sees everything as a possible answer.  The Submit and Clear buttons are excluded probably because of some programming.  Is there a way to work around that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed, the embedded buttons (they do not have an individual timeline) have a lot of functionality built in and will not be seen as part of the hotspot canvas.

I told you the workaround: create a custom question, where you use a shape button as hotspot. You make it invisible by setting Fill Alpha and stroke to 0. It can be scored and added to the Quiz Total. Now you have full control over the Success and Last Attempt actions for the shape button. It will be reset if you use the Retake button on the Results slide. The only loss you'll have is the Review functionality where the correct answer and given answer is shown.

You do the state change only on Success? You have a Success caption, which means you have the two-step Submit process. You can increase the time after the pausing point by increasing the duration of the slide, Continue would then allow more time to look at the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources