• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quiz usability + LMS reporting

Explorer ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Cp 2019, I am tasked with building a simple questionnaire but 2 of the requirements are conflicting. 

Requirement A: User should be able to "go back" and change an already answered question

Requirement B: Project must send question text and answer text (learner_response) to LMS

If I use Cp's quiz functionality, I can accomplish Requirement B - we have tested this successfully. But I cannot satisfy Requirement A. Cp does not allow one to change an already answered question.

If I create a custom quiz, I can satisfy Requirement A, but I don't know how to get the question text and answer text reported to the LMS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possible way would be to use Submit All in Captivate.  This is a setting inside the Quiz settings.  It changes the way the quiz works and the appearance of the Submit button on each question slide. 

Normally the user would answer and submit each quiz question as they reach them.  Clicking the Submit button on each quiz slide triggers the evaluation of that question slide.  This must be done before moving to the next question.  Reaching a quiz slide and NOT answering it would be counted as an incorrect answer.

With  Submit All, instead of submitting each question BEFORE going to the next question, the user can answer all questions in the quiz and move back and forth through all slides to check or change answers as needed. Then AFTER the user is happy with all answers given, they click one of the Submit All buttons that are found on each slide.  This submits ALL of the quiz questions at that moment and marks them all correct or incorrect.  AFTER that point the learner cannot change the answers without clicking the Retake Quiz button on the Quiz Results slide.

With both methods, as long as you are using SCORM, the answers and question data is sent to the LMS.  You need to be aware that turning on Submit All means your user does not have access to the playbar.  The developer needs to provide navigation buttons for them to use on question slides.  I also suggest that you should place the Submit All button somewhere out of the way so that it is less likely to be clicked by accident.

Would that do what you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod - thank you for your reply.  This could very well do it ... I will test it out.  If there's a way to hide or mask the Submit All button on all of the slides except at the end, then this might be the perfect solution.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a good idea to remove any of the default components that are on a quiz slide (even down to the headings and other captions) because sometimes that can make the slide malfunction at run-time. 

So, there is no default way to remove the Submit All button on all slides except the last one in the quiz, but it's easy enough to achieve the desired result simply by removing the text in the button and changing its formatting so that it blends in with other elements on the slide.  You can also make it very small and position it somewhere out of the way so that there is zero chance the user would click it by mistake. 

That then leaves the Submit All button on the final slide as the only one the user would see and know to click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod

I tested the "submit all" option and it behaved exactly how you described, and it fixes the requirements conflict I had outlined. So, thank you again for your reply.

Unfortunately, this route disables the "Advanced Answer" option I had been using to satisfy a different requirement; to display all the user's answers after the quiz. [I cannot use the "Review Quiz" feature for this because it exposes that the questions have a right or wrong answer, which is not the case in my workflow - it's just a questionnaire.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not everything is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A truer truth has never been uttered.  I gave the client a choice - can't have it all. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources