Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Edit Image" does not edit the right image

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

This is driving me bonkers. I have three ongoing Captivate projects, all of which share one image library. Very, very often, when I try to edit an image from the "Library" panel in Captivate, things don't go as expected.

Expected behavior:

1. Find image in Library panel and select "Open With Photoshop."
  2. Image opens in Photoshop. This is the same image that is saved in my Images directory. (e.g. the folder I have always imported images from.)
  3. Make changes and save.
  4. In Captivate, select image in Library panel and select "Update."
  5. Updated image appears on slide.

Actual behavior:

1. Find image in Library panel and select "Open With Photoshop."
  2. Image opens in Photoshop. But! The image is not the one from my Images folder. The image name (file name) is truncated, and it's been opened from an entirely different place. Here's an example.
    The file is named "Guide.jpg" and it's saved in "../Documents/Captivate Projects/Images." When I open it from within Captivate, it's called "Gui3.jpg" and it's saved in the deep depths of "AppData > Local > Temp."
  3. Although I know it's futile: edit image, and resave it in my Images folder.
  4. Select "Update." Image, of course, does not update.
  5. Import the "new" image (though in fact the "new" image has replaced the original image in my Images folder, which I thought the project was using). 
  6. I now have two images: one is the original, which points to the dreaded "AppData" version, and one is the one I just saved in my Images folder. In Captivate, they have the same file name, but the new one in marked with a "(2)."
  7. Lose my mind.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a first idea: what is your naming convention? Please do not use spaces, nor special characters in the name and keep them as short as possible. I suspect this could lead to the problems you mention.

Secondly: how do you 'share' the images in those projects? I would put all the images in one project library (within one of the projects or in a separate project) and use 'File Import External Library to use them in the other projects. Is that your workflow? Have a look at:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/internal-and-external-libraries

I suspect you are not talking about an imported source Photoshop file? Or did I miss that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources