• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Responsive Design -

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started a thread about responsive design and CC and this resulted in another responsive design question. 

I have been making the assumption when you design with responsive design in mind you test for all forms where learning could possibly occur -  desktop/ laptop, tablet, smartphone. With this in mind could you point me in the right direction. Thanks 🙂

1. How do you change the features so some features show on the desktop or tablet, but not the smartphone? e.g. turn off smartphone portrait mode? is this even possible?
  2. If you have a client whose learners will access learning primarily on a tablet, do you design only with tablets in mind?

I feel like I am missing something or misunderstood information.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit confused... you write 'responsive design and CC' but this is the Captivate forum and Captivate is not at all part of the CC (Creative Cloud).

If you are talking about Captivate, you have two possible workflows:

1.  Fluid Boxes: where you leave control mostly to Captivate. You can have 'optional' fluid boxes and objects, but when they disappear depends on the setup and Captivate's control.
  2. Breakpoint Views where you can set up to 5 different browser resolutions (desktop, tablet, smartphone). Although inheritance from the higher to lower is default, you can replace or take out objects for lower resolutions.

Couple of years ago I posted this comparative blog:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/fluid-boxes-or-breakpoint-views

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cc = closed captioning it . Sorry for confusion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acronyms are great... if they don't have twins.

Am I correct that you already have a thread about this problem, with a lot of answers (by Rod Ward) about CC being part of the skin, not in Fluid Box? 

You could try to use the system variable cpInfoMobileOS  but it is limited, no difference between phones and tablets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the first thread was specific to Closed Captioning. This thread is asking about understanding how you work with breakpoints (I didn't know this was the term). How do you get a breakpoint view in Captivate 2019? I only saw fluid boxes. I separated the two threads so I/ others would not get confused. I know I heard of breakpoints in an older version of Captivate. I think I am confused. If I could have a screen capture or a link to how you use breakpoints (with steps) I would be appreciative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will read your blog. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I explained in the blog how you change to Breakpoints in a responsive project, which will always start ast a Fluid Boxes project. Adobe team doesn't promote Breakpoints anymore, which is a pity. It means also that you'll have to be careful with themes, because there are no specific themes for Breakpoints development.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional information. I am glad to hear from you that the adobe team does not promote breakpoints that information is consistent with my initial research ... I found nothing about breakpoints on adobe or the books I have related to Captivate 2019.

I have not has a chance to look at your blog due to an unexpected incident this week. Now that everything is taken care of I can get back to self-training. I will definitely look at your blog.

I appreciate your insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Breakpoints mean a lot more work, and has some drawbacks like the font size not resizing seamlessly thourhg resolutions. But the positive side is that the developer has full control like you wished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources