• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restarting Completed SCORM Courses in LMS

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a search of the forums and this question was never really answered in 2018, so here it is again. Is the ability to restart a completed SCORM course a function, or setting in the LMS or is it authored into the SCORM? We use TalentLMS and want our users to have the ability to go back and retake courses whenever they want. Bookmarking was mentioned in a discussion as was looping. But apparently looping does just that-it won't ever let the user out of the module. Any help appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Whoever made that statement is ignoring several points (probably because they WANT to use Storyline no matter what):

• Captivate's SKIN playbar DOES have built in Back and Next buttons.
  • Captivate DOES have a TOC which can be formatted to your requirements.
  • There are two different bookmarking methods to choose from (Resume Data for LMS, or Self-Paced Learning for non-LMS courses).
  • Captivate's Closed Captioning is much better usability than having users try to read a transcript at the same time they sho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK it is a LMS setting, at least that is what I used in Blackboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an LMS setting at least on Talent LMS. We can manage assignments and completion criteria but you cannot simply set something on the LMS to make it available for play again once the module is complete. My co-worker creates her modules in Articulate Storyline and when hers launch on the LMS, the first screen you see has two check boxes-Continue or Restart. She sets this up in the authoring app somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general, this is not something you can control with settings in Captivate.  It's determined by the design and functionality of the LMS and how the makers have decided to interpret the SCORM standard. Each LMS is different and there are a number of ways that they handle this area. 

Some LMSs will let the learner to re-open a completed course module but will then wipe out the learner's previous completion status and score if he does.  Some LMSs have an option you can activate that allows the learner to reopen the module in "review mode" (or some similar name) so that they can review the content of the course without affecting their previous score.

This has nothing to do with Resume Data bookmarking.  That's something that only applies while the learner is attempting to complete the module to register a score in the LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you happen to know how it is done in Articulate Storyline? My co-worker creates her modules in Articulate Storyline and when hers launch on the LMS, the first screen you see has two check boxes-Continue or Restart. She sets this up in the authoring app somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must be correct since no one else had an answer either. Here is what you get in Storyline.

Storyline 2: Changing the Resume Behavior

The Resume feature in Articulate Storyline controls how learners will experience your course if it's viewed more than once. You can customize resume behavior so that learners:

• Start the course fresh every time
  • Start where they left off the last time they visited the course
  • Choose (via a prompt) whether to start over or resume where they left off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like it must be disabling the SCORM reporting on the second launch so that the LMS doesn't receive anything that might affect the learner's previous score. Captivate doesn't currently have this option.

Feel free to log an enhancement request about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I log an enhancement request, albeit too late to save my job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thrown under the bus for my problem. Here is how it ended in the company I work for.

For future development, I hate to say it, but I think we should avoid Captivate. 😕  It doesn’t have as many nice features on the player, such as built in next and previous buttons, table of contents and resume feature. Also Storyline has a built in button to view audio transcripts and to search the course. You could develop in PowerPoint or Word and then hand off to me or _________ to put into Storyline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoever made that statement is ignoring several points (probably because they WANT to use Storyline no matter what):

• Captivate's SKIN playbar DOES have built in Back and Next buttons.
  • Captivate DOES have a TOC which can be formatted to your requirements.
  • There are two different bookmarking methods to choose from (Resume Data for LMS, or Self-Paced Learning for non-LMS courses).
  • Captivate's Closed Captioning is much better usability than having users try to read a transcript at the same time they should be watching the course.

At the end of the day I have found once things get to this stage just let the customer have what they want.  Learning how to use Storyline is not hard and it's a useful skill to have in case you get another client that wants to use it. 

No tool does everything that everyone wants. Eventually they will come up against the limitations that Storyline has and you can remind them that they WANTED this tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod, I am tired to try to respond to fake sentences  or clear lies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I logged this as an enhancement request as well. We can't post a compliance course that a learner can't rewatch if they'd like. And because I have so many variables and advanced actions, it's not as simple as a button to "go back to the first slide." I have a lot of branching scenarios in mine. 

I have been an avid user of Captivate for over a decade, but the fact that Articulate allows you to bookmark a spot to resume or start over, may require me to rebuild this in Articulate. Pretty disappointing, Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if your LMS lets learners re-launch completed courses, and the way it handles the new scores obtained in this re-launch (maintain original scores or overwrite them with the new ones) is what you expect it to be, there's still the question how it will re-enter the course - will it reset/ ignore all bookmark data and start the course again from the beginning, or will Bookmarking take effect and start the course where the learner left of when completing the course? In case of the latter, this will probably be the last slide of the course. If there's no button to navigate backward or rewind the course all together, the learner might end up being stuck there.

I have an advanced action on all my courses that would track if the last slide is entered from within the course (eg from the second last slide), or if bookmarking opened it there right away on re-launch, and in the latter case it would jump back to slide one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources