• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving PDF entries

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm creating a Captivate project for a client who wants their PDFs uploaded so users can enter text into them and save the text answers in the LMS. I'm considering some of the following scenarios but would appreciate advice on the best way to achieve this. 

1. Creating the fillable PDF and uploading it into Captivate as a web link. I.e. Objects > Web > File

2. Uploading the PDF into Captivate and overlaying text entry boxes to capture the information.

3. Attaching the PDF as a link through an image or a button that allows the end-user to open and fill out the details. 

However, in all these scenarios I need advice on how the student can save their answers before exiting the activity,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first question on the forum. 

Kind regards,

Ria. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

In your case I will embed a PDF-editor in your SCORM package and use it in an iFrame where you send data from/to in parent windows.

If you create a PDF that is editable, you can't be sure that the user got an application on his/her computer, that can do that you might use this library. https://www.pdftron.com/blog/webviewer/pdfnetjs-html5-pdf-viewer-and-editor/

Read this post also: https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/12/save-html5-elearning-certificate-pdf-print/

/Jacob

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your case I will embed a PDF-editor in your SCORM package and use it in an iFrame where you send data from/to in parent windows.

If you create a PDF that is editable, you can't be sure that the user got an application on his/her computer, that can do that you might use this library. https://www.pdftron.com/blog/webviewer/pdfnetjs-html5-pdf-viewer-and-editor/

Read this post also: https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/12/save-html5-elearning-certificate-pdf-print/

/Jacob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob, the information is greatly appreciated.

Ria. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ria!

I really like your option #2. I’d even take it one step further and put text boxes over a picture of the pdf. That would provide the experience the client wants with rock solid performance across platforms and devices - no issues with someone’s device trying to launch an external reader because it saw a pdf.

I’m intrigued by the pdf tech recommended in another response. It looks great. But from what you’ve described, you don’t really need entire pdfs, you just need the text entries. So the added complexity of generating/parsing pdfs in the browser sounds like it could open a door to performance issues for users with wonky old browsers, browsers with unpredictable extensions/plugins, and so on. Plus, some LMS implementations don’t like to store user-generated files (as opposed to text response to questions). Even if all of that stuff works properly, there’s a concern about the organization’s network security protocols. Uploading a dynamically-generated file from a user’s computer to an internal server can (should) prompt network security to intervene and quarantine.

All of those issues are manageable if you really need to create pdfs. But for the situation you described, text box overlay sounds like an elegant solution.

-Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply Dennis. 

That information is helpful and appreciated. 

Regards,

Ria. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources