Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SCORMing Captivate files - help!!

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Looking for some help. I've published some files from Captivate in SCORM 1.2. 

I'm not too familiary with SCORM, so I've published them as best I know how. 
When they are loaded into an LMS, the files can be skipped through and show as complete, even if they haven't been. 

Can anyone help me understand how to SCORM captivates correctly please?  I've included below a little information to see if this helps further: 

We’ve run some tests on the SCORM Cloud platform which seem to indicate that the modules provided have been configured to return a ‘completed’ status to the Knowledge Centre if the learner exits the module before achieving a 100% score. This indicates to the Knowledge Centre that the module has been completed and it therefore unlocks the next one. It would also explain why the score is displayed as 0%. It would be better if the module could return an ‘incomplete’ status until the 100% pass mark has been achieved.

Alternatively, if the module returned a ‘pass/fail’ status  as well as a ‘completed’ status the Knowledge Centre would allow learners to retake the module until they achieved the 100% pass mark.’

We have also tried to set as Incomplete > passed/failed and set slide views to 100 but that doesn't seem to work. 

Can anyone offer any help please?

Thanks
Scorm.PNG

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Editing , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your settings are using SCORM 1.2 and you have set Completion to be achieved with a passing score in the quiz.  Do you have any scored quiz questions or interactive objects in the project?  If not, that might explain why your LMS is not recording completion.

SCORM 1.2 tracks success and completion with only one variable, which is something of a weakness because these two things are actually different.  If your LMS is capable of using SCORM 2004 that would be an improvement because there are separate variables to track success vs completion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two different types of scormed files being used. 

1) this has a mixture of videos and PDF's that should be fully played through - without having the option to skip.
2) quizzes that have to have a 100% pass mark in order to unlock the next batch of content. 

I have been advised that the LMS is version 1.2 compatible so I don't think changing to 2004 is an option. 

Eseentially, I'm looking for guidance on how to ensure content cannot be marked at complete, simply by someone viewing it. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Captivate to create both types of SCORMs then you will have some ability to control whether or not the content must be played through to the end before awarding completion.  

But if your first type of SCORM only consists of video files or PDFs then they will likely be marked as complete immediately after opening.

Using Captivate, my recommendation is that you set up the SCORMs so that navigation to subsequent slides can only be achieved when the content has reached the end of the slide.  That can be done with the videos if they are Slide Videos by timing the Next button to appear near the end of the video timeline.  However, Captivate provides no way to detect whether or not a user has viewed all pages in a PDF that was linked to a slide.

Using Quiz Questions or interactive components (buttons, click boxes, etc) that are set to report to the quiz is the best way to ensure that the user is required to view and interact with all content.

By the way, SCORM 1.2 does not have the ability to add sequencing rules.  So, I assume your LMS must have these SCORM packages in some kind of learning path where the LMS mandates a completion of one module before unlocking the next. Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that, that's actually been pretty helpful. 

Unfortunately I am not too familiar with the LMS the content is being hosted on (it's not mine, it's someone elses') but I'm assumming that from what they are saying, their system doesn't have a locking ability and is relying on these files having that 'built in'.

So, if we have say a video in the file, that is set to the time of the video, they can still skip through, but if we have a next button at least, they will have to at least move on to every video?  Is that right? 

Sorry, my technical knowledge is really lacking, combine that with my self taught knowledge of captivate and we end up with lots of questions. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to force users to watch a slide video all the way through before they get the option to go to the next slide or content, then you must disable all other navigation methods on entering the video slide so that the user has no other option.

I understand that you are new to Captivate so I encourage you to study up on how the timeline works and how the navigation elements in Captivate work and can be temporarily disabled if necessary.  (TOC and Playbar)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources