Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Self Paced Learning not Working in Captivate 2019

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I believe this has been previously discussed. I tried to respond to an existing discussion but I got an error. Perhaps it was because it was an old discussion so I am posting this question again. I apologize.

I am having the same problem getting self paced learning to work in  both Chrome and IE. In my case, I do not get the pop-up asking me to resume where I left off in either browser. The course always starts at the beginning. I have version 11.5.1.499 installed and it is the only version that has ever been installed on this computer. I have been testing  my courses both on my desktop and from a network folder.

I have self paced learning checked. And Never Send Resume Data unchecked. The course will not be run from an LMS but from the customers internal intranet. For the most part my slides are set to No Action on Enter and No Action on Exit. This course is mostly read so I also have an invisible button in the corner of each slide that stops the slide from automatically progressing the next slide until the user clicks the Next button on the playbar. Each slide for the most part is set to a default of 3 seconds and when testing I wait until the end before I click Next.

Cheers,

Chris

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could be wrong on this one but my first reaction to this would be to say that you would need to publish as a SCORM compliant project and deliver this from an LMS in order to get functionality of starting where you left off.

Also - Where are you checking "Self-Paced Learning"? I cannot say I recall seeing that before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean that you checked to option 'Self-paced learning' in the Table of Content? That is normally the way to go if you do not use a LMS. The setting 'Never Send Resume Data' on the other side is in the Reporting setting, Advanced and is only valid for reporting to a LMS, when you create a SCO. Did you turn on Reporting under Quiz Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh - I see the 'Self-Paced Learning' option under the Table of Contents.

Never used that before but I do find it interesting.

Does this just use cookies or some sort of file to keep track of user progress on each individual computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure of the exact mechanism but yes it uses some kind of cookie. In the past when I have used it with different versions/tools  it was tied to your browser. So for example if you started the course in I.E. and then re-openned the course in Chrome you would have to start from the beginning again (If I remember correctly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I mean the option in the Table of Contents. I did toggle reporting on to see Never Send Resume Data was de-selected but I toggled reporting off again.

I wonder if my probem might be a browser issue. I have just run a bunch of tests and I did get it to work a couple of times but not consistently. The only two times it worked was when I had multiple tabs open but only closed the tab that had the published captivate project. When I restarted the project a couple of times it asked me if I wanted to start from the beginning. Is it possible that my browser isn't recoding/blocking completion data when it is closes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which browser did you use? Can you try another one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried both Internet Explorer and Chrome and I have Windows 10. It is a work computer so I am not sure of the security settings. I turned off my pop-up blocker thinking that might be the issue but it didn't make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Self-Paced learning requires storing data in the web browser on the end user's PC or device.  

With Flash/SWF content the data is stored in the form of a "Flash Cookie" or Shared Object in a special area reserved for this data buried deep down int he folder structure of the user's profile.  With non-Flash content (e.g. HTML5) the web browsers store persistence data in a reserved area known as Local Storage.

Self-paced Learning bookmarking data only stores the identity of the slide that the user reached before abandoning the session. LMS Resume Data involves a lot more information about the user's progress and this is all stored in the LMS database, not locally.

What type of output are you publishing to?  SWF or HTML5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Sorry for taking so long to respond. Somehow I missed your reply. We will be publishing it as an HTML5 output. And unfortunately we will not be putting it on an LMS but it will be put on the customers intranet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going to be serving the content from an intranet web server, then Self-Paced Learning bookmarking should work.  However, if you want a more custom solution that goes beyond just sending the user back to the slide on which they ended their last session, then you need to look into how HTML5 allows you to persist data in the browser's Local Storage area.  Take a look a this info: http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-widgets/cpextra/help/data-persistence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. I took a quick look at the link and the information looks very useful. I will look at it more carefully when I have a chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Continue where left off' Self-paced Learning function in TOC is not working for non-LMS publishing.

I have the same setup as the original post. In the old SWF outputs this used to work, but since SWF is no longer supported and transitioning to HTML5 output, I cannot get the Self-paced Learning function to work. Please help. I have courses that are long and want the user to be able to come back where they left off and not start from the beginning.

Details: Captivate 2019, 11.5.5.553

No LMS publishing, just Publish to my Computer as HTML5 only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did upload to a webserver? You cannot test this locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we published to a web server and it still does not function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on exactly the same version and bookmarking by TOC is functional for me. Difficult to guess what is happening on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explaing "bookmarking by TOC"? Just want to check if you're doing something differently than I am. I'm using TOC, but may not be "bookmarking" appropriately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Self-paced learning causes bookmarking by TOC using local storage. It will only be functional when the learner retakes the course from the same system. That is the difference with bookmarking by a LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources