Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SHOW Group for Rest of Project

Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So it used to be possible to select a group and in Properties choose Display for "Rest of Project".

This is NOT working for me in Cap 2019? What happened?

I am trying to create a HELP menu that I can create ONCE on the first slide, have it stay for the rest of project, and SHOW the Menu group on click of a button, and HIDE the menu group with a close button.

IF the group is not able to be set for REST OF the Project, how can I do this?

We can have the Menu as a slide, but then if a user clicks to go to the MENU slide when they return to the original slide the audio and animation repeat and the slide starts over.

Any ideas?

THanks,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a non-responsive project or a responsive project? If it is a responsive project, and you use Fluid Boxes, know that you cannot display an object for the rest of the project.

If it is a non-responsive porhject it is perfectly possbie to show/hide a group for the rest of the project, if the individual objects can be displayed that way. Since you talk about buttons, that is only the case for shape buttons, not for the other three types (image, text, transparent). They have never been able to be displayed for the rest of the project.

Just FYI: this is a recent blog where I do hide/show buttons with an advanced or a shared action, created in 11.0.1.266 which is the most recent version of CP2019.

Shared or Advanced? Use case: Hide/show custom navigation - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lieve!

Thanks for your quick response. Im working on a client project that had their Help Menu as a separate slide. And when a user clicked the help and returned to where they were, the slide would repeat. So I wanted to help them create it in a better way.

They had so many icons, I thought I had already clicked them all to make sure they were smart shapes.... but after your message I digged in again and there was ONE image button in there! So thank you! That solved my problem.

Now however when I preview the project it takes 5 minutes to preview? It's So slow. And even thought I disabled visibility on the first slide, its still showing the help on every slide. Had to turn off the eye icon so I can still work.

The client liked the HIDE/SHOW idea and I recommended the same thing for their MAIN navigation. However, how do you set each slide to pause AFTER all the content? Each slide has a different duration so is it possible to have the interface show for the rest of the slide, and still have pauses? I know we can remove the pause from the buttons and then add an invisible button on each slide where we want the slide to pause/stop... but seems like a tedious way to do it. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Best,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will offer you some more links to my blog:

Easy Timeline Tweaks - Captivate blog

Here you'll find a way to have all slides paused at the end: add an 'invisible' (alpha and stroke =0) shape button to the main master slide, make sure it is also inherited by all daughter master slides. With the default setting it will pause, and since items on the master slide don't have a timeing, that pause will automatically be at teh end of each slide whatever its duration.

There are 3 eye button (there is 4th but that one is rare):

1-2-3 Eye Buttons Mystery - Captivate blog

Slow? How big is that file? Which preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Lieve!

I will have to take a look at your blog when I have time. And the invisible button trick you mentions seems interesting.... I have to try that!

My file is 4megs... and just behaving weird. Client says it takes her 10 minutes to publish the file.

And I added a simple FadedZoomIn to an image, shortened duration to .5 seconds... and when I play the project, it doesn't zoom in all the way! Works fine in authoring mode, but not when publishing. Its just a standard animation effect.

Any ideas of what can be making it so S L  O W? It seems like ever since we created the Help Menu and Course Menu as hidden items on screen 1 (instead of having them as a separate slide) the performance has been hindered.

P.S. are going to Adobe Learning Summit in DC?

thanks!

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No invite, way too expensive,  may costs were so high for the two conferencec (presented twice in DC) that I may be forced to stop my business.  Willhave to look for another passion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the invisible button trick! Although it didnt work on my project. Tech support said it worked for them and they are now looking over my project. Stuff like this seems to happen a lot, you just want to complete a project and so many issues.

I am sorry to hear about the ALS, but I now understand what you mean about the costs. Its very surprising that they would not want to cater to their speakers, pay them, or at the very least, cover all of the costs.

there are tons of projects out there for you to work on! You don't necessarily have to speak about it.

Cheers,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No projects for me, since USA make it almost impossible  for a non-American developer. In Europ Articulate has take over since there is almost no support here for Captivate by Adobe, they only suppost CC. Excpetion used to be UK? but with the Brexit it is  even worse than USA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried freelancer.com or upwork.com? There are projects from all over, and they hire people from all over the world.

And you can pick up Articulate right away! Its intuitive and extremely similar to Captivate. I took on a project once, I just told them I knew it, figured I could always watch videos to learn. It was super easy, I need had to watch any videos.

I can try to keep you in mind if I land some large projects. Try the websites above, you can definitely find work.

Keep on plugging away!

best,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Lieve, re  non-responsive project, I would check to see that you have set the group to "Place Object on Top" when you set timing too Rest of Project. and yes you have to use shapes for the buttons and the menu itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I found an icon that a button image, not even sure why since its an icon for display and shouldn't even be a button.
Always tough going through another author's project.

Thanks for trying to help!

best,
mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mark,

Check this out. You might like this solution instead of returning to a menu slide.

Adobe Captivate - Pop Out Custom Table of Contents - YouTube

Paul

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul!

Thanks for chiming in and for sharing your video. I think Lieve helped me solve my problem. I thought for sure all the buttons were shapes, but in checking through about 30 icons, there was ONE a simple Question Mark, that was indeed an image.
So I was able to have it display for the rest of the slide.

Although now I have some new issues. And is it me, or does everyone have the same bugs as I....
Like pressing Command S to save and nothing happens,
or pressing Delete to delete an object (works maybe half the time)
or pressing Command+ and Command- to zoom in and out(hardly ever works)
or having to set the "Edit with Photoshop" everytime I reopen Captivate
or waiting forever for a file to save

or waiting and waiting for a file to publish,

or waiting for a script to save

or not being able to move add, copy, paste objects within a shape buttons rollover

Its frustrating! Am I alone here?

Cheers and Happy New Year!

best,

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to know how to a menu like that. I have a similar issue for a project I'm working on right now where I need a button to display for the rest of the project and show a text entry box whenever it's clicked, but I can't figure our how to make the "Display fro rest of project" feature work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can wait til Monday I'll make a tutorial with easy to use JSON that can show/hide menu objects....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not familiar with JSON but I would like to watch your tutorial. Please share a link when it's ready?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only three types of buttons can be displayed for the rest of the project: shape buttons, SVG used as button or Bitmap image used as button. The Text Entry Box can NOT be displayed for the rest of the project neither, nor can the three old types of buttons: Text button, Image button, Transparent button.

If you really need a TEB on each slide, you will have to put one on each slide and that makes the button timed for the rest of the project useless. If you explained at least why you want to do it, maybe you don't need a TEB but can use somethign else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to recreate what is in this video: https://youtu.be/Lj58g21qFsw

I have to make the project look like this otherwise the client will complain.

In Adobe Captivate, how do I have a show/hide button and a text entry box display for the rest of the project? Then store the text entered throughout the module and save it to the user's computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources