• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple way to get rid from autoplay button in Adobe Captivate 2019

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My short video will help you finally get rid of the annoying grey button that we have been facing since the release of Adobe Captivate 2019. A really simple way of adding just one extra line after publishing.

TOPICS
Advanced , Editing , Project upgrade

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would add that if you make this adjustment to the html file that is used at publish time from within your Captivate installation folder - you won't have to make this modification every single time you publish. It will also bypass the play button when you do a preview HTML5 in Browser.

You would need admin privs to do it but I would say that it is worth it to make the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would add that I will be very interested to see how long this fix continues to work.  Web browser manufacturers are continually closing off security and usability loopholes.  They implemented this change for a good reason.  I would be very surprised to see them so easily defeated by a single line of code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking that as well but remember - the play button we see at the beginning is imposed by Adobe.

Browsers are not causing that to pop up.

This work around simply takes us beyond the play button - users will still need to interact with the project in order to hear any automatically playing audio on your first slide.

The browser autoplay disable is meant to keep audio from playing automatically unless the user interacts - that is still in effect here. So in that sense - this defeats nothing from a browser autoplay perspective.

Go ahead and create a project with nothing more than a single slide and a box on the stage. No audio. No video. No interaction. Just a box. You will still get the play button and that is what bugs people. Nothing there that needs to be blocked.

The point of this is to get the learner to the first slide that we designed for them. If that first slide has audio that plays automatically - they won't hear it until they interact but I would much rather deal with that question by pointing fingers at the browser and suggesting an intro slide and make the auto narration come on slide 2 than to force additional steps on my learners knowing it is the software at fault.

This play button was implemented because of the required interaction for auto playing media in projects. I just think developers need to work that out and not the manufacturer. That play button is really ugly and I have seen lots of projects where folks go through the trouble of creating the image to go behind it and when you click on it you get to that intro slide where you have to click again to begin.

Ugh - I could go on and on - I love Captivate but there are two big thorns in my side about it.

The play button and the Text theme thing that changes all my fonts on me. The play button being the bigger of the two - although at least I have that resolved for my own projects. Not sure how to avoid the other yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Nice idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use that fix AND have a video in your course that you'd like to auto-play on slide entry, make sure to have the user at least interact once with the course before the slide with the video loads. In other word, don't put that video on the first slide. The course may auto-play, but depending on what browser you use, the video may not without the user having clicked anywhere at least once. Not sure about audio; might be the same - or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the frustrations with this issue, but whether the learner has to click this initial play button or another one we place on a later slide is something of a moot point to me because either way the user MUST click something.

This is the point I was making.  Getting past Adobe's button on the first slide is NOT a complete solution.  If you make this coding change to a module with audio, and do not in some other way still force the user to click something before the audio is due to play, then you will be deluged with support calls from users telling you the course is malfunctioning because the audio doesn't come in when they expect and then suddenly does appear later when they do something.  Your management will blame YOU, not the browser.  They pay US as the developer to know enough to avoid such annoyances.

The browser manufacturers have implemented this limitation on multimedia files playing automatically because of the egregious way internet marketers have misused autoplay on websites with adverts.  Due to the volume of complaints from end users, the people behind the browsers decided enough was enough.  Unfortunately, multimedia e-learning courses like the ones we create with Captivate are suffering collateral damage in this war.

Like it or not, the e-learning industry is little more than a flea on the tail of an elephant called the Internet and as such we have absolutely no power to force the browsers to do anything.  We just need to workaround this issue the same way we work around all the others, but without making the issue any worse.

I think Adobe made the correct call in putting this button on the first slide and enforcing the way it works because then non-technical developers (which are the majority of people using Captivate) are unlikely to get into trouble if they just run with it.  Sometimes a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Totally agree with Rod.  That is the reason I use a technique which is possible for the majority of CP developers, but of course looked down on by the real experts. I am just a user but with lot of experience in helping other developers. Both solutions are fine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources