• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Situational Time-Out

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a situation that requires clever solutions / work-arounds.

I create training for a company, internal access only. The HR department doesn't want a Quiz to verify that knowledge has been aquired.  "no testing" is our current standard.

So we developed training videos that our audience can jump around using TOC. They learned to fast-forward through the videos. Then I created a trainnig course in which they couldn't fast forward. Our audience has learned that playing the trainnig material from beginning to end - and ignoring it completely - has been a way to get around the training requirements. 

As you can imagine, we are not achieving our goals. 

I was able to get permission to use Knowledge Slides; without options for users to 'fail' anything. So now I can force interaction on the training material, but I can't force someone to re-do a slide if they answer wrong, etc.  Once they answer the knowledge slide, the presentation continues. 

But I want the ability to force the training course to restart if two knowledge slides time-out. Or, maybe we can have it restart from the beginning if ONE of the knowledge slides times out. I don't know if this can be done, or how. 

This leaves me with a few questions:

• Has anyone found a way to address this type of situation that I'm facing? Any clever ideas?
  • I want a report when the time-out / restarts happens, so I know who is ignoring the training for my OWN purposes. 
  • ... any other ideas you could share?

Is this something I could build into the training course? I'm self-taught in Captivate, so I'm figuring out the details as I go along. But I haven't seen anyone trying to address this type of situation with very limited options permitted. 

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure that is possible, at least if you are using Captivate Classic. Since you are using KC slides it will need a little bit more work than with regular quiz slides because KC slides cannot have a score. This means that you will need to create user variables and shared or advanced actions. Are you familiar with those?

It you are on the new version, I am sorry but it can be done but it is almost impossible to explain the workflow and I have decided not to write blog posts about that version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi: 

Thank you for the tips.  I am using Captive 2019 (11.5.5). I think that is classic? (I state with hestiatancy). 

I am not familiar with user variables or advanced actions, but if you point me to a resources or guide, I'll study up on those features and how to implement them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is Captivate Classic, not the most recent version but a very good and almost bugfree one. I also keep it for that reason on one system. 11.8.2. seems to have more bugs.

Oops, that makes it difficult. You'll not find a direct tutorial for your use case at all. Almost all my blog posts use shared and/or advanced actions and variables. To understand variables I have two basic posts:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/discover-slash-use-captivates-system-variables-part-1

https://blog.lilybiri.com/discover-slash-use-system-variables-part-2

Do not be confused by 'system' in the title, it also explains user variables.

For the actions here is a possible workflow:

• Create a user variable v_counter, default value = 0
  • KC slides have two events: Success and Last Attempt. I suspect you changed its default number of attempts from Infinite to 1?
  • Attach the action 'Increment v_counte by 1' to the Last Attempt event.
  • For all KC slides, except the first, create a conditional action:
      IF v_counter is equal to 2
         Jump to startslide
      ELSE
         Continue
  • Since you will re-enter the KC slides again, use the On Enter event of the first slide to reset the value of the variable v_counter to 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you kindly! I have my homework and will begin soon. This will be a wonderful solution if I can get it working. 🙂  I appreciate your detailed response. And I'll check your posts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure, I have a lot of experience with advanced actions since they appeared in Captivate version 5. You'll see that on my blog. This was just a quick summary, not sure that it will fit in the complete project, because I should need to see it for that purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources