Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slide Counter help for Captivate

Participant ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community

I am using a template that uses a slide counter within the master slide view. The slide counter counts the current slide number and the total slides, and looks like this:

$$cpInfoCurrentSlide$$/$$TS$$

The reason I have this sitting within the master slide view, and not simply on each slide, is because this way I can control which slides it actually appears on. Some master views have the counter and others do not. And whether I have it appear or not, it will of course still count all the slides within the project (even those without the counter) in the total slide. I have a question though - and I'm not sure if this can be achieved:

Is it possible to exclude some slides altogether from being counted in the 'total slides' $$TS$$ The reason for this, is because I have created 25 pages that all link to another page with clickable links. The reason I did it like this rather than click to reveal, is because of the sheer amount of linked content. However, because this behaves like a click to reveal (with links back to the main page) and because the user will not need to click on all of them - I don't want those 25 pages to be included within the total slides.

I have done a lot of research online, and have read some quite detailed descriptions of variables - but still am unsure as to whether this can be achieved.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your variableTS is a user variable, not the system variable cpInfoSlideCount which is normally used to show the total number of slides.  Why not just calculate 'your' total number of slides with the On Enter event of the first slide like this:

Expression TS = cpInfoSlideCount - 25

Continue

That will be an advanced action since the Expression command is only possible in an advanced or shared action. If you want it to be more flexible, create another user variable v_subtract and use a shared action:

Assign v_subtract with 25

Expression TS = cpInfoSlideCount - v_subtract

Continue

This shared action would have only one parameter: the literal '25'. You can easily import it in any project, apply it to the first slide On Enter, and define the number of slides you want to subtract from the real total.

Maybe this recent example which I published, which is bit related, could be interesting to you:

Automated Numbering for Sections - eLearning (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm a not a complete newbie with Captivate, but I'm still learning. I have created many advanced actions before, but have a couple of questions:

1) does this AA need to be on every single slide, or is it just the first one?

2) Is it possible you can give me some guidance in setting up the AA? I dont need the extra variable, just doing the -25 will work fine

I really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on the situation. If you are sure that each session will start on the first slide, it is sufficient to put this action on the On Enter event of the first slide, since the calculation doesn't have to be redone anywhere, the value of the variable remains the same.

However if this is a course posted on a LMS where you allow bookmarking, each session will start with a different slide. In that case it would be safer to have the action on each slide. Do not use a Shared action for that situation, because only an Advanced action can be applied in one workflow to all On Enter slide events of the selected slides in the Filmstrip. Too bad that you cannot filter them based on the used master slide(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

It will only be on the first slide yes. What I'm not sure about with the above, is how to actually add this. If it is not too much trouble, can you take me through it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If each session starts on the first slide, create that advanced action. Add it to the On Enter event of the first slide. Make sure to have nothgin selected on that slide, go to the Properties panel, Actions tab to add the action.

For the text container which has the text: '$$cpInfoCurrentSlide$$/$$TS$$' you can keep your present workflwo with the master slides, since you don't want t oinclude that text on all slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources