• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slides not marked as viewed in ToC (Branching Scenario)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Using Captivate 2019.

I'm building a module with branching scenarios (or more properly, showing specific slides) based on individual answers to quiz questions. To clarify my setup:

• Slides 1-5 straightforward content unrelated to quiz
  • Slide 6 scenario content relevant to quiz question #1
  • Slide 7 quiz question #1 with three MC options
    • If the user selects correctly, it goes to slide 8, with congratulations and a brief explanation. There is a button going to slide 11, which is the start of the next scenario
    • If the user selects incorrectly, it goes to either slide 9 or 10 depending on the answer selected. Each of these slides has a brief explanation as to why the answer was wrong, and a button going back to the quiz question on slide 6 to try again
  • Slide 11 scenario content relevant to quiz question #2
  • Slide 12 quiz question #2

Getting to my problem: In the ToC, I have slide 6 visible in the ToC, but not the quiz question (slide 7)  or the answer feedback slides (slides 8-10). I then have slide 11 visible in the ToC, and so on.

In testing, I've seen that if I go through slide 6, and then correctly answer the quiz question on slide 7, the completion checkmark doesn't show on slide 6 (maybe since slides 8/9 don't get viewed). I'm worried that this might affect our completion criteria, as well as confusing the learners.

Explanation of screenshots: In the screenshots attached, the first one shows how I set up my ToC. The second shows what happened when testing. In Persona #1, I answered the question correctly on the first try, and no check mark. Persona #2 I selected one incorrect answer, then the other, then the correct answer. In Persona #3, I selected one wrong answer, then went back to selct the correct one.

I could set the completion criteria to only account for the correct quiz questions, since you can only advance if you get the question right, but that doesn't cover the issue of the checkmarks not appearing in the ToC. I also have Branch-aware checked in the quiz settings. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Mike

TOPICS
Advanced , Branching

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you describe what is in your slide 6, I am wondering what makes the completion of it. It is 2:53 seconds long. Is that a video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, the 2:53 is the sum of slides 6 (the scenario :10), 7, (the question :03), and 8/9/10 (the explanation of the right/wrong answers :20, 1:13, and 1:07 respectively).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The completion status will be a tricky one, especially if a participant 'learns from his/her mistakes' and not get every question correct.

You might have to keep the % of slides viewed quite low. Otherwise you might create a set of variables that 'count' the progress and validate reaching the end. Is reaching the end enough to complete the course?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reaching the end is enough, because you can't get to the congratulations slide without answering all three questions correctly. Now that you mention it, I have an exit button on that slide. I could set an action to Mark as Complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the exact same issue. In my module, % of slides visited isn't a concern, but I do need the ToC to unlock the slide that's been visited, even if the subsequent branching slides, which are hidden in the ToC, are not visited. Any solutions that others have found on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources